Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

I know some loggers, and knowing their sense of humor I suspect that these rocks on posts were meant to look like something other than turtles or mushrooms....

They are known locally as mushroom trees.

This pic isn't in Jim's league but nor are my skills......behind a camera or in front of a MRR.

picture.php

I hope you are getting some good info from the thread and you, of course, are welcome to participate as you wish. Jim:)

Honestly I've really only been looking at your pictures. I don't plan (as yet) on ever modeling any sort of short line logging operation as has been shown here, but the pictures look fantastic.

Your layout was actually a source of inspiration for me when I built a logging railroad in Minecraft Traincraft:

2u7xatg.png

The sawmill, housing shack and railroad interchange. Lumber and wood pulp are loaded via machine onto waiting cars on the spur. The GP7 is on hand in case motive power is needed.

21muvbt.png

The small rail-served mine.

hvnp6r.png

The railroad only has two locomotives. A Forney steamer, and an american 4-4-0. If needed, I can add more trackage and engines, but so far I am the only one of my group who works this forest.

Nothing as good-looking as your scale models, since this was built out of necessity and not really on a whim. I'm sure as we harvest more and more timber and more earthy stuff, this little branchline will expand.

Steve, This is neat. I didn't know these things even existed. I can see why it could become addicting. Jim:)

Well it can be addicting when everything works correctly. Lately the automatic loading machines that put stuff on the train cars have not been working properly. There was also another mod for the game that allowed me to make automatic lumber harvesters, but those are also broken. No longer does an automatic machine cut down trees and send the logs to my sawmill, which produces lumber and some pulp for paper, which then sends the cut product to the loader for the rail cars.

Oh well.. I'll just have to grab an axe and do the work myself, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, This computer stuff is all good and a friend of mine has an old 'ride in the cab' simulation on his computer. I couldn't get into it. Just too old I guess. Jim:rolleyes:

My wife got some flowers from her son for Mothers Day. In the vase was a plant called Babies Breath iI think. I've probably seen BB through the years but only this week have I noticed some potential.. I'm guessing BB has been used many times before through the years, but not by me. It is good for trees and shrubs. Here is a familiar scene with the BB tree in the center. Jim:)

newtree_zpsa4d94096.jpg

Uhm, did you see my post about "modelrailroadphotos.com" elsewhere in the forum? Looking for model railroad photos that are realistic looking?

Yeah, well, this shot might just qualify. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will pass with flying colors! Got any more like this? Can I talk you into uploading them?

Bob, good choice on the 'sticky', I have been through this thread several times, catch something new everytime!
When I first found this thread it was about 80 some pages deep, started looking at the photos posted and got lost in them.
Went through pages of photos, then I saw one photo that showed the bench skirting, I actually sat up (I was leaning in to see where I would hike) and thought to myself "oh ****, forgot this was a model"
This may be my first post on this thread, I bet I'm at least 5000 of his views.

Greg, Welcome. Glad you're enjoying the info. You may be interested in an upcoming announcement next week as well. Hope you get your space. Jim:)

Speaking of Climax locomotives....

I'm one of the few people around that has spent a lot of time with the real thing. At Mt Rainier Scenic RR we have Hillcrest Climax #10, and have been running her off and on since 1981. For a while she was our primary engine, now it's limited to special events. But she still runs on occasion.

Here's a shot I took of her in Morton, WA a few years back.

IMG_1114.jpg

Speaking of Climax locomotives....

Bob, That is really a good looking locomotive and a great photo!
I am not really a fan of the geared type, but I may have to rethink my position!

Bob, I'm from Seattle. I wasn't into modeling of any sort until 2005. I consider you a lucky man to have a chance to see a Climax up close and personal.

Sherrel, Definitely give geared steam a thought. Remember my layout room is only 10x11 and these locos give me a chance at a "larger" railroad. Here's a geared steam photo for you. It is an On30 Shay. It is a work in progress so it is not a finished product at this time. Jim :)
On30aroundthebend_zpsd4f64c4d.jpg

I've moved beyond the dad bit to grandad status but I can empathise with a distressed fir tree......God's knows my old bod is distressed.:rolleyes:

JPIII, I see you noticed the woodpecker hole. Actually that is where a branch got knocked out my me at sometime.

I too, am a granddad and glad of it! Jim:)

What I've concluded from being a grandad.

I suspect that men are born with a finite amount of patience. By the time you've raised your own kids, the well is empty. I enjoy my grand kids but small doses are best.;)

What I've concluded from being a grandad.

I suspect that men are born with a finite amount of patience. By the time you've raised your own kids, the well is empty. I enjoy my grand kids but small doses are best.;)

Having six grandsons under the age of seven, I can very easily relate to that!
Now, If I can just make at least one of them into a model railroader.

Tough to get this young generation involved. I guess we can only expose them and "if they are lucky" they may see the light years down the road. Jim:rolleyes:

Back