Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Filled in the turntable hole. Progress! Jim

IMG_5992_zps2a15b743.jpg
Jim , I have gotten angry at a lot of projects but have yet to stab one with a pair of scissors !!!
:p
Mike

In my spare time, ie. giving my back a rest, I built this Morgan Hill model. I goes along with the little tank car I built last year. On30. Jim

IMG_6001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sherrel.

Here is a photo of recent work above the canyon, a new hill. Adding rocks to it today. Remember that the layout continued below the edge of the table top. There will be rocks and cliffs running down about a foot all the way around the layout. Jim:)

IMG_6000.JPG

Big day today. I'm gluing down the turntable track. Not the most fun thing I've ever made. I will let this glue set for at least 24 hours.

IMG_6008.JPG

As for the turntable itself you can see the bottom tube that fits in the scissor hole. It is an old wiring spool. Also on the bottom of the tt are four wooden "wheels." Not really wheels of course, but since the tt track is slightly out of round I felt this was a way to cover my bases. They cannot be seen anyway so this solves a bunch of problems. Later today I will solder wires to the track. Jim:)

IMG_6006.JPG

Big day today. I'm gluing down the turntable track. Not the most fun thing I've ever made. I will let this glue set for at least 24 hours.

IMG_6008_zps431eac52.jpg

As for the turntable itself you can see the bottom tube that fits in the scissor hole. It is an old wiring spool. Also on the bottom of the tt are four wooden "wheels." Not really wheels of course, but since the tt track is slightly out of round I felt this was a way to cover my bases. They cannot be seen anyway so this solves a bunch of problems. Later today I will solder wires to the track. Jim:)

IMG_6006_zpsce0154a6.jpg

Coming along very nicely Jim!

Mike

JimT Thanks for the comment. The PCM&T Co. Southern Division while primarily an HO layout is also going to run On30. I built this turntable as small as I could for On30 and large as I could for HO. So basically I have an S scale turntable. Yours would be a bit smaller than this one for HO. Jim:)

Gotta say this thread is fantastic. I am late to the party per say but over the last 3 days when work has been slow i have read thru all 199 pages and you are an amazing craftsman and I know I have learned a few great tips & Tricks and can't wait to lay some track and start on some scenery.

Gotta say this thread is fantastic. I am late to the party per say but over the last 3 days when work has been slow i have read thru all 199 pages and you are an amazing craftsman and I know I have learned a few great tips & Tricks and can't wait to lay some track and start on some scenery.

Stoker, You are much smarter than me. Electrics is not my thing as you know. In this photo you can see how the TT rails will be powered. I will only have about 4 engine tracks and this will be strictly simple turns to these tracks. No wiring nightmares for me. If the loco won't go I'll shove it with my fingers! Jim:eek:

IMG_6010.JPG

97ford, Welcome and thanks for the comments. If you notice the 'view' count you can see this is one of the most, if not the most, visited sites on the model railroading internet. If it is fun for you then it is fun for me. In those 199 pages you came across some contests. We will have another one at 200,000 views. They are fun! So fun and free is the thing here. Come back and visit or take part if you wish. Jim:)

Jim, did you think of all this by yourself? I think that is ingenious to use half a track and then bend it in a circle. Very good. I'm not that sharp on electrical stuff, so I hope that part of the system works okay. Another good example of doing more with less. It's really starting to take shape. - Chris

Chris, I looked at photos of old turntables, some were models, but most were the real deal. The turntable has to be able to spin on something and these rails are the logical choice. So, no, I'm not the first to use the single rail half track. I did think it through though. I kept saying how did they, the modelers, get a nice circle like that? So I just cut the Code 100 flex piece I had in half and there we are. The hard part was soldering the ends together! I wonder how the real TT tracks were bent into these fairly tight circles. Does anyone know? Jim :)

Stoker, My thoughts as well. I can vouch for how difficult it is to get a perfect circle here with this track let along a prototype. Mine is far from perfect thus the need for the wooden wheels. Plus I can actually bend mine with my hands, no heat applications. Makes sense that these prototypes where probably 5 to 7 pieces to make the circle. Jim:)

Back