Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Merry Christmas, Jim. Thanks for taking all the time to show us all, how to build a great model railroad. Ron

Jim, i guess they are hiding the christmas lights and music on the other site. I take it that serg hasn't been in touch with you. Hope you had a merry christmas and hope for a better new year!! Dan

Thanks guys. Dan, I guess I've given up on that site.

Here is a photo to get you through the weekend. Happy New Year. Jim:eek:

IMG_0311_2_3_Monochrome%2033_zpsmkkce7d7.jpg

Yep, i am wondering if serg has been sick or just don't care anymore. Still a few there yet but only country joe is still mod now. One other just quit. Can't remember name right now. Only 3-4 of the regulars show up anymore. Its a shame really. Beautiful picture!!! Looks so real too!! Anyway, have a happy new year!! later, Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
RR, Not quite!

OKAY, Contest looks like it will be on Jan 8th. Photo comparison again. (find the differences) Grand prize is an HO Bmann Steamer 2-8-0, DCC and Sound. Brand new. Jim:cool:

I realize that the thread is now 403 pages past this post and five years later. However, yesterday I was looking at this thread and your question got me to thinking. I live in Northern Minnesota, Pine tree Country, USA and have traveled fairly extensively throughout the Western United States and I have to say that I have never seen a tree like the one on the right. Are there actually coniferous trees where the tree top ends with a conical shape like in the photo? I also need to say that in model railroading I see people make many of their conifers like this and in fact, in my opinion, one of the best scenic artists was Jack Work, who was showing how to make trees like this back in the 1950s! Since in my entire life and in my fairly extensive travels, I have never seen a tree ending with such a large trunk above any foliage and coming to a point, am I just not seeing this detail about conifers? By the way, I love these trees and have to ask where can I find Caspia? Thanks!

Corey, Glad you stopped by.

In the photo you will see my two choices of trees. I don't want to combine them on the layout because in SE Alaska conifers tend to be all one species where I'm modeling. I'm leaning toward the Caspia tree on the right. Any thoughts? Jim

IMG_1111.jpg

Mark, No worries. Questions like yours are always welcome here as others will attest. The trees above are the first couple of caspia trees I'd made. You are correct, no conifer I've ever seen looks like the tops of either of those trees. On the other hand here is a photo of part of 3000 trees I made on my N scale layout and I will bet that you've never seen trees in nature made from twisted wire?

lowview1.jpg

I could go on an on about 'shortcuts' that I take in my modeling endeavors. Consider in my 12 years in the hobby, I started at 60, I've built around 15 layouts or so. Only 8 for myself and I sold the rest. My work resides around the world. To be able to 'trim' these trees down to a point, to me, would be a bit too time consuming as I build layouts so quickly. I'm not correct of course, but time is everything to me and in part to those that participate here. To get 'all' I know across to the folks that have viewed this thread over 600,000 times is to keep them, and me, interested. If you continue through this thread you will find some trees with sharp points and more prototypical. Looking back a lot depended on how sharp my blade was at the time of carving!

Remember if you have not already read the basic philosophy of this thread: Build with easy acquired supplies, build as cheaply as possible, and make it look 'realistic' to the best of your ability.' Pretty simple. So you won't see Bragdon's rock walls on my work for example. I would use them if I could afford them however.

Caspia is found at all Micheals craft stores that I visit. Welcome and I hope you stick around. Jim:)

Contest Contest will begin next Monday, January, 9th, at Noon PST. So adjust your clocks and give it a go. Prize will be a Bmann, HO, 2-8-0, steamer with DCC and Sound. I'm taking the two photos this week and I think we will have a winner this time. As this thread is pertinent to all scales if you are an N or Z scaler I think I can dig up a prize for you, probably trees. Jim:eek:

HO explorer, where do you discuss what the contest is and how it is tun?

Mark, Page 369 will give you what you need to know. Plus there are two photos there for practice. Official rules for this Contest will appear Monday. Did you see my reply a page back about the trees you commented upon? Jim:)

Yes, I saw the reply. The photo you showed in the reply with all the pine trees was fantastic! Even though some are Cone Headed. I guess when they are that plentiful, the Cone Head isn't as noticeable.

It would be nice if the contest was on a weekend so that the people who work for a living could participate as well.

RL, I agree. But we have folks that live in Australia, Ukraine, you in Canada, and others spread throughout the world. If it is on Saturday for example it is Sunday somewhere and the middle of the night somewhere else. Monday or Friday seem to have the largest participation. This time Monday I'm afraid. You can't access a computer your time, maybe like others, you can sneak your laptop into the toilet and pretend to be sick for a half an hour. Been done! Jim:)

PS Let me think about posting the first picture on Sunday and the second on Monday, 1200 PST. That may help. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Okay, I will post Picture No. 1 on Sunday. I don't know if it will help. I will give ONE big help: Boulders and rocks have NO part in the Contest. See ya noon PST Monday. Jim:)

Contest: Below are two photos. The first photo, #1, is the base photo. You must find between 4 and 7 changes portrayed in photo #2. Don't post your changes until you have triple checked each one. Posting too early with the wrong answer only helps your competitors. Most of us have pretty good monitors these days and you will need one. Check and recheck and check again before posting. First correct post wins. We can't tie, because posts come in in order. Best of luck. Oh! There may be one choice that is a 'semi-trick' question. Hint: Remember Photo #2 for change answers. Also, lighting, zoom issues, cropping, shadows, camera placement, and things beyond my photographic control play NO part in the Contest. No time limit. Jim;)

PS This page will appear at Noon, today PST, even though the time stamp says Yesterday, 1146. My photo site is undergoing updates today and I had to get the #2 photo early this morning. So this is an edit of yesterday's post enabling us to start on time.

Contest Photo #1:

600k%20contest1_zpschyyawes.jpg

Photo #2

600K%20Contest%202_zpsowe3p5ji.jpg

I see four if they are correct. The handles on the push car are in different positions. Man sitting on Flat car. One more limb in the creek. extra root on tree in front of engine.

Back