Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

There's one thing about this layout Jim, (and we've all learned it's not if but when), the excuse/reason can be that the dead tree finally succumbed to dry rot and that was the end of that then.

I haven't looked into it, but aren't there pinhole/fiber optic cameras that would allow shots from inside the layout? (Like from the interior of the car pointed towards the water tank for example.)

Thanks guys. Nice so see you back Mike.

Toot, I have a feeling we will see the 'dead' tree reappearing in one form or another.

Bushel, I've included these photos of a diorama I made 9 years ago. It will be sort of like this example. Toot, sort of Nambung like.

RR, Yes, they do, but in my investigations in the past they are somewhat expensive. Jim

IMG_2898_zps4lpuj5fv.jpg

IMG_2910_zpsdzmpecdo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, so........WilyE country eh? Was that N or Z Jim?

Hope the weather you're under becomes more like ours is at last.

First pic of the future. Here I'm using left over Stucco Patch. I'm using the 2x2 so I can try 4 different methods. Stucco Patch is heavier than my favorite Sculptamold. I haven't ruled out simply going old school and using just lightweight Hydrocol. Maybe I'll use all three just to get rid of it all? Jim:)

IMG_0105_zps4xebbpvx.jpg

T.C. Very good point. Trust me I've been through the donation game before. I donated a layout valued at $22,000 to a museum here in California. Last I heard of it it went into the dumpster. I don't itemize taxes so that is not the point. This table top would be around $6000 and all the rest somewhat higher. Few of you know that I've built at least 7 layouts and modules for private folks and my hourly rate is generally $25 or more per hour. Plus all expenses. I have layouts in Germany, Mexico, Singapore, Japan, 3 in the US etc. While I don't do that anymore and the money is certainly all gone I don't like to 'donate' to entities because I've been bitten once and that is enough. Everything I do here, and some restoration work on various layouts, and modules locally I do for free. I don't need the money and according to my wife I have a bad habit of giving most things I own away for free to those who need it. Basically, I feel no remorse for how I do my modeling endeavors. Once I've taken all the photos it is the garbage can. I like to think sites like this and others, and of course, my 6 layouts published in magazines all for free is my best legacy. Jim:)

OK I can understand all that.
Just looking at that last picture I though some rich guy that doesn't know what end of a hammer to use might like to have that in his office?
Although it may be more of a PINA to try to sell or auction than it's worth ?
Just a thought T.C.

Toot, Point taken. Nothing I can do about it it seems.

T.C. Obviously no 'rich guy' on this site! Jim :D

Getting a layout from A to B could/would involve a massive bit of logistics. Member ArmyAirForce (Steven A Carr) who builds all sorts of models in the UK for a living (some might think a dream occupation) has his own covered box trailer that he can deliver personally. His last commercial layout was delivered to a client in Ireland. At the end of the thread he documents the lengths to do so. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...3-Somewhere-in-England-N-scale-Monster-Layout Not something you undertake in an afternoon. Even a much smaller layout like this one of Jim's, would take some organising.

I had never noticed the mine entrance before. Any chance of getting a closer shot of that before tear down?

KB, Remember I had to build the mine first because of reach. So go back to Page 343, post #3424. There's is a finished photo there. I've taken more but didn't post here I guess. Enjoy. Jim:rolleyes:

Back