Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

1. Man on flat car in second shot
2. Stick in Creek in lower left has been moved to below the tree in front of the loco (looks likes a new tree root)
3. Hand cart has been turned 180 degrees
4. Flat car and car behind have been pulled forward slightly
5. Bush in lower right pulled back ever so slightly
6. Engine pulled back slightly
7. At least two branches missing (or moved) from tree just above and next to outhouse.

Okay, gotta go to work. Like NP2626 said, even if I don't win, it's fun to play. :)

1. Handcar turned around. 2. Locomotive moved back. 3.Flatcar moved ahead. 4.Man on flatcar. 5.Branch missing in creek, branch 6. Outhouse moved back slightly. 7. Chain on flatcar has been repositioned.

1 Locomotive moved back 2 hand car turned 180 3 flat car moved ahead 4 man on flat car 6 branch missing in creek 6 vent on out house missing 7 chain moved on flat car

Good morning. All the correct answers have been mentioned, but NOT by anyone individual. Number your items. Hint: Outhouse being moved is NOT an answer. Nor did it ever have a smoke stack or pipe vent. Contest ends at 1200 PST today. Jim;)

1 Hand car turned 180 2 locomotive moved back 3 flat car moved forward 4 man sitting on flatcar 5 branch in creek missing 6 chain moved on flatcar 7 feet under outhouse door missing

Last edited by a moderator:
WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER! Edsland has them all. Congratulations.

Ed is it? I don't know your scale since this thread is relevant to all scales. Let me know if you want the steamer in HO or not. If not we can work something else out for you. PM me with your name and address. Thanks for playing. Jim;)

Well done Ed. Check's in the mail.

About Contests. Seems like most like them, I do to. This time was really weird though. On the way to process the first photo, I bumped the layout. It is on casters remember. So when I took the second photo I had no idea the bump caused the outhouse, flatcar, and loco to move. You all pointed that out to me and added two more 'differences' to be found! I'm getting old I guess. However, I do like to play tricks. The man appearing in a sitting position on the flatcar should have raised questions like: Where did he come from? What a dumb 'difference' this guy is? I'm not sure you all figured it out. Maybe Mark did, as he was the only one to notice the two feet under the outhouse door. Other clues: I mentioned sharp monitors, another clue that something tiny was an answer. Actually two, the chain was moved too. It is all good though. A good prize this time was finally won. If I live to see 700.000 views I will have really scrounge for prizes. Jim:eek:

Here's my latest photo. It may make some of you feel better! ACTUALLY, I would like your input on this photo. Do you like it? Can't stand it? Realistic or not, etc. Thanks, Jim:rolleyes:

Red_tonemapped_zps2agb9ipl.jpg

The lighting bugs me. Both light sources appear to be nice, but in my opinion, they don't belong together. The yellow in front suggests a sunrise or sunset. I'd associate that with long shadows.

Just my thought.

Lookin good. So, is this layout HO or On30? I don't remember seeing anywhere. Is the boxcar being leased by the PCMT?

The lighting bugs me. Both light sources appear to be nice, but in my opinion, they don't belong together. The yellow in front suggests a sunrise or sunset. I'd associate that with long shadows.

Just my thought.

I agree. The two temperature colors from different directions look a little off. Unless the story is that there is a huge wild fire raging from "behind the camera," then it would make total sense.
The scene itself and the modeling work are, as always, top notch, Jim!

I don't give a dang about the lighting. I like the scene and models, great work!

Thanks for input. The front lighting is supposed to be the sun rising. Actually it is my desk lamp. The lighting in the back ground is from the skylight bubble, therefore different look. It was very dark in the room that morning. I'll need to turn the lamp more towards the wall I guess. This layout is On30. I just gave away, my last HO loco! Jim :eek:

Probably no secret I like close-up photography. So while I battle my first cold in two years here's one for you. Jim:eek:

Puddle_tonemapped_zpsej8arw4x.jpg

Just my thought.

I disagree, having warmer colors in front and cooler colors in the back makes for a more spacious look. Although, perhaps dialing it back a little bit.

In general, using advancing colors in the front and receding colors in the back can make it feel like you've got more space than you do, in the same way that you can judiciously use some things that are of the wrong scale in the front and back of the layout, to increase the sense of depth. As long as you don't go overboard, big in the front and small in the back can give more feeling.

Just my 2 cents.

One of the great things about art, politics, horse racing, etc. is that very few of us have the same opinions our next door neighbors have. That is was makes the world go round.

Lighting on this desert layout is a nightmare. The overall color, red/orange, is very difficult to photograph. Remember I have a skylight bubble in the ceiling and a desk lamp for my basic lighting. Using the desk lamp on this particular scenery gives a brighter glow in the foreground which is not so obvious in my other layouts. It's there, just not so bold. My photography style at the moment and especially this layout is basically early morning sunrises or sunsets. In real life the 'look' is better than in photos. So we think positively and realize we are all correct. Jim;)

Back