Building the Andersley Western Railroad

BN SD24 arrives with freight. No sound in the SD24, but two idling Alcos provide background sound!

[video=youtube;8IxSi4YZblA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxSi4YZblA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I will shortly be discontinuing my http://www.andersleywestern.co.uk website. The link has been removed from my signature.

It is shortly due for renewal and the visitor numbers do not make it worthwhile to continue the domain payments. Most activity now is on forums and other social media, with far more visitors and feedback.

A section of track at the exit of departure siding was causing intermittent derailments (due to a very short section of track), so was lifted and replaced, re-ballasted and the road relaid. Not sure whether to leave the ballast as is, denoting a newly ballasted section of track, or to weather it to match surrounding track.

trackwork1.jpgtrackwork2.jpgtrackwork3.jpgtrackwork4.jpg

By leaving it unweathered, I reckon you'll be able to count on an even greater number of comments :confused::rolleyes:

That is an interesting looking loco, never seen it before! Wonder what the engineering reason behind the unique design was?

The Garratt is one interesting locomotive. I have seen a number of videos of in operating and enjoyed them all. How did you end up with it? Not too many out here.

It is a friend's model and he brought it to me as it did not work. Mainly a servicing job, refitting a coupling rod to the crankpin and sorting out the wiring. He has lots of British OO scale models and brings them to me a few at a time for repairs/improvements/servicing, etc. This means I get to see and handle quite a range of models on the layout. Good thing I made the wiring of the layout switchable between DCC and DC!

Garratts were used by the LMS here in the UK and just this one by the LNER. But they were very prevalent in South Africa and several other southern African countries, on 3'6" gauge and were highly successful on bendy mountainous lines. Basically two locomotive chassis with one big boiler. Scotland did a great export trade in Garratts!

The videos I saw were from South Africa. It was amazing at how this locomotive could easily get through some really tight curves. I wish I could have seen one in person. The only steam I got to see in Africa was this little guy working the dock area in Mombasa, Kenya. Not quite a Garratt.

pictures 883.jpg

Back