Building prototype models using cheap toys...

iomalley

Barely-employed Brakeman
Hello all.

Have any of you built prototype-realism models using toylike base models? What comes to mind is the Lifelike 'hi roof' boxcar as they call it being a excellent basis for the Penn Central X72 boxcar. I build a fleet of Conrail and PC X72s using 'Good Humor' Lifelike popsicle billboard 'hi roofs'.

As well the AHM 'tank hopper' as they call it being a very good stand in for the NYC flexi-flo hopper

ATTACH]

Anybody else convert a sow's ear to a silk purse? :)

Though my model isn’t nearly as nice as yours, this was a little make-over I did on a n N scale gon that I got at a swap meet for $1.50

I lowered the car by filing off the bolsters, added MT trucks & couplers, & some heavy weathering…

Before:

DSCF4142.jpg

After:

DSCF4150.jpg

Well I can't say it was really cheap, but then again at the time the only MLW C630's available were brass and going at $700 each so compared to that some Tyco C430's and C630's, modified and mounted on an Athearn Blue Box GE 33C's resulted in a fleet of six of these puppies. Maybe not all that accurate but certainly a good representation of the real loco

AMR.png

I guess they run me a little over $120 each completed

This next one a representation of a MLW RS18 is an old Lifelike RS11 modified and mounted on an Athearn GP7 chassis. Less accurate in some details but none the less a decent representation of the big one.
111-1195_IMG.png

Today much better models are available from manufacturers at not much more $$ than mine cost me. Still in all in all, there's a certain pride of accomplishment in building your own model from other models and parts available.

Cheers
Willis

Nice job! I have to add, that your RS18 is probably more accurate in dimensions than even the Proto RS18!

I too have bashed a C630M, Model Power C628, scratchbuilt rad section using Rivarossi C420 parts, cab is an Atlas 424 cab with squared off front corners. The trucks are cut down model power with Tiger Valley sideframes. Mines a dummy, so it rang in a little cheaper at about $50...

CP4507-1.jpg

About a zillion years ago I made this CN C-Liner from a horrible AHM shell. Took major work, had to remove baseball sized rivets, etc. The chassis is a modified Athearn PA one, with six wheel trucks on the back and four wheeled ones on front. Never thought a model would ever be available of this one, but it now is, some 20 years later!

You have nice looking locos with excellent weathering and an eye to the details required.
Me I just try for a decent representation of what I'm supposed to be modeling. The Tyco shells have a pretty fairly accurate detail (I have to shave a lot of it off to be more accurate)

Here is one built from just one C430 shell cut and stretched using filler pieces . It's the only one I did this way, the other 5 are built with a 430 cab and a 630 long hood
ConanDoyle_IMG.jpg

Nice job! I have to add, that your RS18 is probably more accurate in dimensions than even the Proto RS18!
I've started on a second one (maybe the last), during the first one I thought I'd have to scrap the GP7 frame because I had to take a lot of metal off it. The next one will have wire hand rails

Cheers
Willis

An excellent model Bob, a lot of work I'm sure. It's nice to view the work of a true craftsman. Well done

Cheers
Willis

Here's another old timer I made when I first got back into the hobby. I picked up a used el cheapo gondola of unkown parentage at a train show to convert to a CP Rail wood chip car. I had photographed the prototype in the nearby CP yard. Just added side extensions with sheet styrene and Plastruct ribs. Added ladders and an access hatch near the end. Since there weren't any CP "pacman" decals available in this size, I masked off and painted it on the model.

The finished model looked so nice when freshly painted that I only duplicated the weathering on one side. No one can see both sides of the car at the same time, so it can appear to be the same car in different stages of its existance.

Most of my early modeling was done with cheap train show finds, as I didn't mind cutting apart or otherwise defacing a perfectly good new model. I got over this later, having discovered the pleasure of working with brand new shells without having to strip the paint off. The originals were great for learning though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a cheap Riverossi Combine:
Tender01.jpg

And make a crane tender for my Athearn Wreck crane:
finished2.jpg

I can't take all the credit though I got insperation from a Canadian Railway Modeller article.

That AHM Flexi-flo is nice. I'm working on 3 of those. Stalled for now until I figure out some details.

finished2.jpg

I can't take all the credit though I got insperation from a Canadian Railway Modeller article.

EXCELLENT! awesome use of an old bit for a modern modeler. I remember that article...I have a box of old crap from a friend-of-a-friend's model trains and it included a few old Riv cars...great idea!

Nice work on the PC car. Thanks for the amazing photos of the Flexi-flo too. I hope my 3 look as good.

I remember that article in Railmodel Journal ages ago. They said Canadian National had some of those Hi roof Evans boxcars too. They also said supposedly LifeLike also made one decorated for CN although none of the real life cars used the CN noodle logo that came on it.

I tried to model the 252 BM (the only gp38 on the guilford line) from a chessie painted life-like . it came out ok but i like it!

i think i have that same crane. plus a lot of other junk i have been practicing weathering on. not sure how i wound up with two of those santa fe maintenance cars.

I remember that article in Railmodel Journal ages ago. They said Canadian National had some of those Hi roof Evans boxcars too. They also said supposedly LifeLike also made one decorated for CN although none of the real life cars used the CN noodle logo that came on it.

Lifelike did a toy CN scheme, with the wet noodle on it. Proto 1000 did the CN car the proper way, with reporting marks only.

PC and WP were the only original purchasers of the X72. CR and CN got them 2nd hand.

Back