Building My First Layout

Laying down cork roadbed (for me anyways) is always a fulfilling task. I always enjoy that part. It's the wiring I done necessary like. With this layout I'm building now, I'm wiring properly as I go so it's not such a monumental task later.

It's all looking good!
Same here, wiring as I go so I don’t have to come back later and do it as a massive project. Track is getting nailed into place but not driving the nails all the way in case I run into a dilemma and have to rework…

Same here, wiring as I go so I don’t have to come back later and do it as a massive project. Track is getting nailed into place but not driving the nails all the way in case I run into a dilemma and have to rework…

I'll be using the Atlas terminal connectors, and running the wires under the table as I go. I have to figure out the best/easiest way to wire blocks around my layout.

Thanks! I'm kind of dreading the wiring too.
As Chris stated, it isn't hard. I just find it tedious at times. My past layouts I didn't wire as I went, and then was too lazy to go back and finish. The layout preformed, but only for a short time before issues started.

This time I'm doing it right. Using circuit breakers, soldering rail joiners, and feeders for each piece of flex.

Look at what you have accomplished so far, I have no doubt you will do fine!

As Chris stated, it isn't hard. I just find it tedious at times. My past layouts I didn't wire as I went, and then was too lazy to go back and finish. The layout preformed, but only for a short time before issues started.

This time I'm doing it right. Using circuit breakers, soldering rail joiners, and feeders for each piece of flex.

I admit I'm no fan of wiring track wiring either but I'm even lazier using pre-wired track joiners as feeders, but I prefer that to doing the wiring for turnouts.

I admit I'm no fan of wiring track wiring either but I'm even lazier using pre-wired track joiners as feeders, but I prefer that to doing the wiring for turnouts.
I always have soldered my feeders to the rail, but then again, I'm weird. I kind of enjoy soldering.

I have never tried the pre-wired joiners, but I have seen lots of layouts use them, and for a smaller layout, they're a great option. In my case, they would get expensive quick!

I always have soldered my feeders to the rail, but then again, I'm weird. I kind of enjoy soldering.

I have never tried the pre-wired joiners, but I have seen lots of layouts use them, and for a smaller layout, they're a great option. In my case, they would get expensive quick!
Yes, on big layouts, it would be very expensive at around $8 for 4 sets, a lot of modellers make their own or solder them directly to their track as you do, I used wired joiners because I'm simply rubbish at soldering.

At least your honest! 🤣

Take some scrap track and practice, if you haven't already done so. Some people find ballasting therapeutic, I find soldering feeders' kind of relaxing.🤔
Have you any idea how hard it is to melt a rail joiner, coz I can do that now, I've soldered track a couple of times, but it was very messy.
I wonder if I can get Peco to make 20' lengths of flextrack. 🤔 🤣

Thank you!

I have 30 Atlas remote turnouts, that came with their own wiring and parts. But since they also work manually, I'll wire them as I see the need. All of my wiring will be routed under the benchwork and easily accessible.

Back