Building My First Layout

Are these Bachmann Spectrum engines DCC ready? This is another engine from my dad's 1990's collection, and it has a circuit board in it. It appears to be brand new, and it was never assembled (couplers and hand rails are still in the envelope).

PXL_20240211_201339039.jpg

PXL_20240211_200948811.jpg

It has 2 flashing strobes on the front of the cab that flash. The headlight works too. But it doesn't move at all.

Last edited:
Are these Bachmann Spectrum engines DCC ready? This is another engine from my dad's 1990's collection, and it has a circuit board in it. It appears to be brand new, and it was never assembled (couplers and grab rails are still in the envelope).

View attachment 181198

View attachment 181199

It has 2 flashing strobes on the front of the cab that flash. The headlight works too. But it doesn't move at all.
That's a DC loco, you'll have to fit either a decoder or replace the board with a DCC one, as for not working, if your trying on a DCC controller select 0 as the loco address.

That's a DC loco, you'll have to fit either a decoder or replace the board with a DCC one, as for not working, if your trying on a DCC controller select 0 as the loco address.

It caught me off guard because nowhere on the box or the owner's manual does it say that it is DCC ready or DCC equipped.

My entire layout is DC with block wiring, and I don't have anything to run DCC locos.

It caught me off guard because nowhere on the box or the owner's manual does it say that it is DCC ready or DCC equipped.

My entire layout is DC with block wiring, and I don't have anything to run DCC locos.
If it doesn't say "DCC equipped" or " DCC ready" on the box it will be DC, the board is for your directional lights etc. if it's working as you say, just leave it, but that still leaves the issue of it not moving. I assume you've checked that you have clean wheels, contacts, no loose wires and your track is clean ?

If it doesn't say "DCC equipped" or " DCC ready" on the box it will be DC, the board is for your directional lights etc. if it's working as you say, just leave it, but that still leaves the issue of it not moving. I assume you've checked that you have clean wheels, contacts, no loose wires and your track is clean ?

I've serviced all of my locos, and only 2 of them don't run. This Spectrum and an Athearn blue box passenger engine from the 1970's. All other locos run fine on my layout.

Last edited:
Never heard of doing that, and don't know how.
Remove the motor, or strip the loco down so you can get to the actual motor contacts, take a 9v battery or 12v from your controller, (you'll need to use two wires) apply power directly to the motor contacts, if it turns you know you have a wiring problem and need to check the wiring from your pickups, if it doesn't, check the brushes, they may need replacing, if it's a can motor you can't do that as the motor enclosed so you'll need to replace the motor.

Take some fotos and post them on the forum, myself and other members will help, also look it up on YT there are plenty of videos that will help you.

As the lights on the Bachmann are working, I'm guessing there's a wiring problem from the board to the motor.

This Bachmann has a limited lifetime warranty, so I'll call them tomorrow and ask about their warranty coverage.

When I serviced the loco, I didn't see any broken or loose wires. I don't think it was ever used before. It could be a result of being in storage for 20+ years. There is also no evidence of broken or loose parts.

This Bachmann has a limited lifetime warranty, so I'll call them tomorrow and ask about their warranty coverage.

When I serviced the loco, I didn't see any broken or loose wires. I don't think it was ever used before. It could be a result of being in storage for 20+ years. There is also no evidence of broken or loose parts.
There may be no sign, but it could a bad solder, until you strip them down and investigate you won't find out.

The good news is that I have another one of these locos that was bought at the same time, and stored right next to the broken one, and it works just fine. I've tried all I can to fix the non-working loco and it still doesn't work. So I will send to off the Bachmann this week for warranty work.

Also, I tried the working Amtrak spectrum loco and it doesn't go over my bascule bridge, in either direction. My Atlas GP40 and a few other locos won't go over the bridge either. I've done several modifications and repairs to the bridge and I've decided to remove the bridge. It just happens to be on my mainline #1, which is intended to be primarily my Amtrak and Santa Fe passenger line.

Here's a short video showing how and where two locos get hung up on the bridge

Last edited:
The good news is that I have another one of these locos bought at the same time and stored right next to the broken one, and it works just fine. I've tried all I can to fix the non-working loco and it still doesn't work. So I will send to off the Bachmann this week for warranty work.

Also, I tried the working Amtrak spectrum loco and it doesn't go over my bascule bridge, in either direction. My Atlas GP40 and a few other locos won't go over the bridge either. I've done several modifications and repairs to the bridge and I've decided to remove the bridge. It just happens to be on my mainline #1, which is intended to be primarily my Amtrak and Santa Fe passenger line.

Here's a short video showing how and where two locos get hung up on the bridge
Nice seeing your short video, appears like the bridge does not carry current. Wierd.

Dave LASM

Back