Building and Kitbashing the Walthers Cornerstone Rolling Mills ~~ Start to Finish

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Here is part 3 of the series, the building and kitbashing of the Walthers Cornerstone Series Rolling Mills

Here is a pic of the Walthers Rolling Mill from Walthers web site

09330000003250.gif

Step 1

Here is one of the 14 Roof Supports that will span the length of the building.

Step1.jpg

The Roof Supports have been painted a Rust color using "Rust" color Primer.

Step1-1.jpg

Step 2

Here is the Rolling Mill Skeleton. This is with both of them bashed together so this is the final length of the building. I glued the Supports to the base and then added the Crane Support Beams in.

Step2.jpg

A look down the supports of the Mill. You can see the imbeded tracks in the floor.

Step2-1.jpg

Step 3

These are the end walls. Walthers gives you the choice of having a completely enclosed structure or having the 3 open doors fot the tracks that run through the building. I chose to fo open doors as you will see in a few pics. This is one of 2 end walls that will be used in this kitbash.

Step3.jpg

Here are the side walls, there are 8 of them. Just like the end walls, Walthers gives you the choice of having the walls go all the way down to the bottom floor or having the bottom floor open so that you can see inside. I chose to have the bottom florr open so this wall is the shortened version.

Step3-1.jpg

Here is the roof Vent Housing that goes ontop of the roof to allow the tremendous heat that is created during the mill process to escape. Most mills also leave the bottom floor open to allow some of the heat to escape to. There are 2 of these vent housings that will be on the roof of the mill.

Step3-2.jpg

Step 5

I glued one of the roof sections on and then added 2 walls. This is what it will look like with the bottom floor open.

Step5.jpg

Another view of the assembly

Step5-1.jpg

Different angle, i kinda like how all the steel trusses are exposed like that, it just looks cool to look down them lol

Step5-2.jpg

The Mill Walls and the Roof have been completed on this side of the Mill.

Step5-3.jpg

Shot of the other side of the Mill, now both sides are complete and the Mill is starting to look like a Mill lol

Step5-4.jpg

Step 6

This shows the Roof Vent Housing glued down to the top of the roof. Now to add the other one at the other end of the Mill Roof

Step6.jpg

The other Vent Housing has been added and the Mill is pretty much complete now as far as the building goes.

Step6-1.jpg

Pre-Weathering Shots

Overall shot of the Mill

Step7.jpg

Another overall shot of the Mill, she is 23" long!!!!

Step7-1.jpg

Shot from ground level

Step7-2.jpg

Look down the outside of the supports

Step7-3.jpg

View looking in the Right Side Door and down the Mill Floor (dont mind the green hose in the backround lol)

Step7-4.jpg

View from the Center Door. The crane rails on the sides are were the 2 overhead cranes would rest on.

Step7-5.jpg

View from the Left Door. I like how the trusses look up in the roof sections

Step7-6.jpg

Decals

Wide shot showing the 2 blue USS logos on either end

Step8.jpg

Close-up of the USS Davis Works logos

Step8-1.jpg

Shot showing what the ends look like. Both ends are the same as far as decals go. Both have the big blue and white USS logo, the "Quality Made in the USA" sign, and starting from the left side on the bottom are a stop sign, Danger Hot Metal sign, Danger Crane Operating Overhead sign, Wear Hard Hat sign, another Wear Hard Hat sign, another Danger Crane Operating Overhead sign, another Danger Hot Metal sign, and another Stop sign.

Step8-2.jpg

Weathered Finished Model!

Step9.jpg

Step9-1.jpg

Step9-2.jpg

Step9-3.jpg

Step9-4.jpg

Step9-5.jpg

Step9-6.jpg

Step9-7.jpg

Step9-8.jpg

Sign Close-ups (these are on the four center columns on both ends of the Mill. They read Wear Hard Hat, Danger, Crane Operating Overhead, and Danger Hot Metal)

Step9-9.jpg

Close-up of the signs on one of the ends, they got chipped but they still looked fine from a distance, plus i thought it have the building some character, at least thats my opinion lol

And there we have it, the Building and Kitbashing of the Walthers Cornerstone Series Rolling Mills from start to finish :D

Back