Bringing my Tyco stuff into t 21st century

regdwight99

I have some 70's vintage Tyco rolling stock. They have plastic trucks and hook and horn couplers that I would like to modernize. It appears that all the replacement trucks I see in the Walthers catalog have to be screwed into the car frame, but my cars only have an unthreaded socket where the old trucks clipped into. Any suggestions or advice, or do I have to put my older stock out to pasture?

I've just added Kadee couplers to many of these cars. Kadee makes, or did make a number 27(I think) specifically designed for cars with these types of trucks. Most of the trucks were pretty free rolling. I think Kadee actually made the couplers in 3 variations, a centered knuckle, underset, and overset knuckles. I also painted the sideframes of the trucks 'grimy black,' to take away some of the plastic sheen. These cars have given me years of reliable service-not the time to put them aside just yet. You can always replace some of the cast on details, with add on details, if you want to upgrade them....

Welcome to the forums!

I have used a grinder to remove the coupler housing from most of my tyco stock and glued on the big housing piece you get with Kadee whisker couplers to the underside of the body of the railcar itself. From there it is easy to install Kadee's whisker couplers. They have long, medium and short shank whiskers now in medium, over and under sets.

Fooey on that dainty tin #5 centering contraption.

I find my tycos to be as reliable as any new railcar on code 100 track then. Heck, just like a new whatever, add some weight to bring em to NMRA specs and the tycos are GREAT and relatively kid proof as a bonus.

Finally something I have experience in!

Sometimes you just got to love some of the unique stuff Tyco did put out.

I've done it all! Replaced the couplers inside the Tyco "talgo" trucks and changed out the wheels. I have also mounted standard coupler boxes and trucks. You need Kadee kits 23 - 29 depending on the length of the coupler you need and whether it is center, underset, or overset shank. I mostly use Kit #23 but #28 might come in handy too! Best part each kit will do 2 cars!

Inside the kit you get everything you need! You have two choices, you can simply install a kadee inside the talgo truck, while this is the "easiest" to do watch those centering springs(I had to do a little cutting on the talgo coupler pocket to get the coupler to center and the spring to fit, there is a little flashing at the mouth of the pocket that "centers "to horn hook coupler. Just follow the instructions carefully as they are little confusing ( at least they were to me), I did not realize the talgo adapters simply twist and lock into place(and they really do a good job too!)

Second, you could do what I reserve for my favorites, I will glue styrene or brass tube into the hole were the trucks go and then tap it 2-56 for a screw, then you can simply screw the truck in! Then glue a coupler pocket to each end and then drill and tap the car for the screw to hold the coupler top on and the coupler in. Sometimes you end up with a little screw showing and sometimes I have had to add some tube to set the screw into...It's tricky but the hardest part is centering the pocket!. It is intimidating but the good news is there are plenty of cars to practice on!! Ill post some pics of what I have done... let me know if you need any more help!

PS: I agree with everything everyone else said too! Check the weights and adjust because those Tyco cars seemed like they were weighted with whatever they had lying around! :) Also a little bit of dull coat goes a long way into changing a toy into a model!!

dbe6ff61-1277-4154-a382-ddf4edf4868a_zpsc07dfa3e.jpg

748f1c7d-a54c-4d02-8ca5-7a70c867b496_zps49b0e6a7.jpg

09be9ca7-60ff-4fdf-8279-546922044907_zps28af485d.jpg

21d63a54-c50e-478c-bc63-1f1e1cd4f056_zpsbd97339b.jpg

e4df2e97-a04c-4727-9674-4d481b48efd1_zpsf78a3887.jpg
PS: I just love these "coke" cars! :)

Thanks for the interesting suggestions. I will look into both and see what may work best for me. I look forward to finding a lot of interesting discussions and much useful information in the forums as my journey in model railroading begins.

Greg Thanks to you as well. So, how do I know what length I need and whether it is over or under? How important is that? I am in the early stages of building my first layout, so it will be a while before cars get on the tracks. I would like to pick up a set of couplers next trip to Walthers and try my hand.

Get a coupler gauge it will help you line things up...at least it helps me. I have a small peice of track mounted on a board with a coupler gauge attached so I can line things up. Each car is a little different but with the tyco stuff I have found that short centerset works most of the time.

And welcome to the world greatest hobby!

Back