Block detection

NC&StL

I am embarrassed to ask this, because I have spent a career in electronics and don't know the answer! I have a Digitrax BD4N occupancy detector. I also am looking at toroid type block detectors. Are they performing the same function? That is closing a contact to signal a train in the block. Do I need both or one or the other? See why I am embarrassed?

Yes, the BD4N will do it all. I'm not sure how many blocks it gives you. You'll also have the need to resistor many of not all of your cars, so the signal doesn't revert to green as soon as the locomotive clears the block. My club has done signals. They're nice but resulted in a rule that all rolling stock had to be equipped with resistor wheelsets or be lit so the system can "see" them. It's nice but a bunch of work! :)

I am doing a "caboose era" layout, so I will resistor all my caboose wheels, and that should work. Thanks for the heads up.

The BD4N provides 4 blocks.
Get it? BD4N / 4 blocks?
As for the detection of longer trains in the block, ya may have to experiment with the resistance level on the wheels. Metal wheels work way WAY better than the plastic ones.

The BD4N provides 4 blocks.
Get it? BD4N / 4 blocks?
As for the detection of longer trains in the block, ya may have to experiment with the resistance level on the wheels. Metal wheels work way WAY better than the plastic ones.
Yah I guess that makes sense if you're a Digitrax guy. For those of us who aren't, well, there was the PR-1 through 4, remember? :) 🤷‍♂️ We use a 10Kohm resistor across our wheelsets which gives detection and doesn't soak up too much juice. On lighted cars, you're good to go. With Wally passenger cars we bridge the two metal strips for lighting kits with a resistor or light the car, and for freight cars we use surface mount resistors on one or two axles. They aren't too difficult to install. You can use wire glue or conductive paint, then apply some ACC and they won't fall off. Marker lights on a caboose would work quite nicely!

Back