Blair Line N Scale General Store

I really like this model. Here's mine in N scale!

My roof is peeling, lol
1676136848811.png

Bit of a slump in the building ... broke one of the front porch posts so need to make another one - trying to find a lumber company open on a weekend is a pain in the butt BUT think I found one so hopefully will have it cut to size and delivered this afternoon :)

Have been persevering with the trim work and have discovered that there are some "ill fitting" pieces and some pieces missing altogether it would seem.

The corner pieces indicated by the RED arrows are missing from the kit:

97xu0Fn.jpg

The corner indicated by the GREEN arrow is missing while the pieces for the corners indicated by the RED arrows are too narrow to cover them:

lyctvYt.jpg

Lucky for me I have some strip basswood that will be a perfect fit all round :)

I thought Blair Line Products were better than this .......... ?

PS: The chimney is also missing!!

Last edited:
You're right about the missing pieces. There were some missing from my HO scale kit. I just trimmed out some from the wood "sprue" sheet for the missing ones. It's been a couple of years so I don't remember if they're the same ones as the N scale kit is missing. My chimney was not missing though.
I have several Blair Line kits and I can say that their QA is not as good as Bar Mills, American Model Builders or JL Innovative; or others that I don't remember off the top of my head. But if the kit interests me, I can always find a solution as you did.

@santafewillie

I sent Blair Lines a nice email expressing my displeasure but don't expect anything in reply, at least nothing of value anyway. I do know, this will be the last Blair Lines I buy and will stick with RSLaser (despite crappy instructions) and AMB kits. I confess, I have not tried any Bar Mills kits and the only JL Innovations kit I built had lousy instructions as well.

Anyway, the build continues and I have begun putting on the actual roof shingles:

zXQUEAe.jpg

Got the roof sections on AFTER having to remove the tabs for the holes as they did not line up and were too small to accommodate the tabs properly:

Xml6PV6.jpg

j1tYU4y.jpg

Not sure what I will do the roof in. I am tossing up between Corrugated Iron (Grey) or Grey Shingles... never liked the roofing material that comes with these kits.

Okay, I am an idiot - I just realised that I have glued the roof in place BUT, haven't put the front door or windows in!!! This ought to be fun then .............. :oops:
OPPSIE Daisy !! :eek:

I have found that most laser-cut instructions lack clear-cut clarity. I have never assembled an RSLaser kit. Bar Mills is the exception with a twist. First they are rather "down-home" instructions. Secondly, they always start out quite detailed, but by the time you get to page 8 or 9, they trail off and there is some missing information. Although by then, you have figured out the idiosyncrasies in the kit and kinda know where to go next. Bar Mills kits are sometimes missing parts though, but a call to Art or Jim usually gets what you need in the mail the same day.

Back