Black Light Experiment

Gary B

The Fox Valley Railroad
Well it's the week after Halloween so I managed to score a black light on closeout for half price. I've some luminous paint I've been wanted to try some tricks with on my mostly unlighted layout. But here are some first pictures to see what kind of effect it gives. I included the lighted pics so you can tell what you're looking at. Feedback most welcome!

I don't know if you saw the movie Coraline but a lot of the "other garden" sequence was done with black light and flourecent paint, similar to what you have done.

Holy cow, that looks AWESOME!! At first I thought when I saw the thread, might be cheesy looking. But no way, that is really sweet looking.

You need to dig up an old MR or RMC article from the 1960's. John Allen did basically what you are doing only he also painted little pools of black light paint under street lamps so it would look like street light and building lights were on.

Thanks guys, response appears to be positive.
Paul - Never seen the movie, I'll have to rent it.
Dave - I thought I remember reading John Allen had used blacklights. I like the pool of light idea.
The plan is to add luminous paint were I want the affect. The problem I see is that anything printed on white paper glows. Well, I've used cardstock to printoff stone and brick textures for a dam and used some on the foundation of a structure. The structure appears to float on light and the dam looks radioactive! I need to figure how to tone that down.

That looks great! I was thinking of doing the same idea before to my city backdrop.
It will make my windows/signs light up.
There are many flouresent paints availible that are invisible untill the light is on. (so you don't have some wild color where it shouldnt be when light is off)
Also many things/liquids that will react to a blacklight that is alot cheaper. Experiment with the light on different things. (I do halloween haunted houses and we work with those alot) Anything to save a buck!
One nice thing about what your doing: It only takes 1 wired bulb to light MANY items!..Think of the wiring you saved!
Great Pics!

Interesting. Was in Batteries Plus yesterday and they were selling compact fluorescent black lights, with the US-standard screw-in base. Plus colored CF 'party lights'. :)

Actually Jeff that's my plan. However seeing how nice simple white paper lights up I think I just need to place sheets of them inside my buildings. Beats painting, or wiring. I'll keep you all posted.

Back