Big Steam On The Layout

20230619_084332.jpg
20230619_085213.jpg
20230619_085252.jpg
20230619_084419.jpg
20230619_084935.jpg
20230619_084215.jpg
20230619_084947.jpg

The locomotives, the passenger coaches, and freight cars are all made by Bachmann.

Are the Santa Fe 3780 and the N&W both 4-8-4's? What is the minimum radius they will negotiate? Do they both have blind middle drivers or some sideplay? Getting big steam to run on tight radius curves can be a challenge. Even the prototypes had some problems in that vein. The 4-4-4-4 was restricted to running between New York City and Chicago because of the long wheelbase. On my layout, my mainline radius is 20 - 22 inch. By making the middle drivers blind and shimming them off the top of the rails (not visible unless you get right down with a light behind the locomotive), I can get my kitbashed Mantua 2-10-4's around those curves without trouble. Same with my 4-8-4 made from two Mantua Pacifics.

I have Spectrum 2-8-0 that has trouble on 24" curves. The front truck keeps popping off the track. I would prefer to stick to small steam, 2-6-0 or smaller in the future.

I have Spectrum 2-8-0 that has trouble on 24" curves. The front truck keeps popping off the track. I would prefer to stick to small steam, 2-6-0 or smaller in the future.
If the front pony keeps derailing, try adding a bit of weight to it, it may well fix the problem.

Are the Santa Fe 3780 and the N&W both 4-8-4's? What is the minimum radius they will negotiate? Do they both have blind middle drivers or some sideplay? Getting big steam to run on tight radius curves can be a challenge. Even the prototypes had some problems in that vein. The 4-4-4-4 was restricted to running between New York City and Chicago because of the long wheelbase. On my layout, my mainline radius is 20 - 22 inch. By making the middle drivers blind and shimming them off the top of the rails (not visible unless you get right down with a light behind the locomotive), I can get my kitbashed Mantua 2-10-4's around those curves without trouble. Same with my 4-8-4 made from two Mantua Pacifics.
I operate both normally with no special technique. The same is true for my big(by N scale standards) late 80s to 90s era Santa Fe frieght diesel which is also made by Bachmann.

Thanks, I'll try it.
Thinking about it, check to see if there should be a small spring between the chassis and the pony truck, if not you could also try adding one, one out of a cheap pen if you've one lying about anywhere, you'll have to cut it down to size tho'

I checked for the spring and it was there, just a bent metal spring. I over bent it a little and I think it will be fine now as far as that goes. After doing that, another problem arose. I had noticed some jogging as it was going down the track and just assumed it needed a little breaking in. This morning, it would barely run but I get it to run past where the front truck was coming off the track before so the spring is working now, but it all of a sudden stopped running. I could here the sounds from it so I know the pickups are doing there job. It was weird hearing the thing speed up and slow down but no motion at all. I brought it to work for disassembly. I'll let you know what I find although this should probably be in another thread.

Back