Best HO Active Working Railroad Crossing

Sorry to dig up a three-month old thread. Was searching for something and saw this thread, and figured my first post on the forum should be constructive....

If you have the budget, Signalogic Systems is a company to check out.

http://members.shaw.ca/signalogic/
http://www.signalogicsystems.com/products.html

They are a wee bit pricey... but if you want realistic signals (including working lights on the gates themselves), they are the guys to at least check out. They are also VERY interactive with their customers, and support custom orders, including custom gate/cantilever length, and extra lights as needed.

Fred,
I see their web site hasn't been updated since 2005. Seems like their prices would have changed considerably since the USD/CD exchange rates have changed so much. For example, I have no idea if the $250 gate system is at the old or current exchange rate. Their crossing signals do look really nice though, including the option for adding additional side flashers. I also see their gate systems have that idiotic blank crossbuck so they don't have to use two languages in a space you can barely get one. :mad:

Fred,
I see their web site hasn't been updated since 2005. Seems like their prices would have changed considerably since the USD/CD exchange rates have changed so much. For example, I have no idea if the $250 gate system is at the old or current exchange rate. Their crossing signals do look really nice though, including the option for adding additional side flashers. I also see their gate systems have that idiotic blank crossbuck so they don't have to use two languages in a space you can barely get one. :mad:

Actually, you can choose between that (the Canadian crossbuck), the American crossbuck (RAILROAD CROSSING), or the Australian crossbuck (RAILWAY CROSSING). Since they are based out of Canada, most of their example images have the Canadian crossbuck. As far as their pricing... that second link is their new site that is under construction. They will be adding that information very soon.

Take a look at,,,,,

I like using grade flashers from Berkshire Junction http://www.berkshirejunction.com/
I had an unusual situation on one of my modules. I have a grade crossing just east of one of my passenger stations. 4 tracks on one side of the crossing, and just 2 on the other. The side with 4 tracks was too wide for infrared detection, and most signal drivers with photocells can only work 4 sensors at a time.
The gang at Berkshire Junction gave me the solution. In a nutshell, the 1st board has 3 photocells, the second has 3 (that way all 6 approaches are covered) but the second board trips the 1st in the same manner as a 4th photcell would, if it were there!
Its been 2 years now, bouncing around in the trailer and under different lighting conditions (they ARE adjustable) at different shows, and they still work great!:D

Here is a set of Tomar crossings ,1 set 862 and 1 set 863B, that I installed on a clubs modular layout that I used to belong to. Total cost was around $150 for all the parts from my sources. The wiring for 3 tracks was another story, LOL.

01-15-0617.png

01-15-064.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking crossing, Matt. That's also a lot of scary looking wiring. :eek: What was the old Motorola speaker used for?

They apparently decided to use a different speaker with the sound unit that they have there. The sound device is an older-style model from Innovative Train Technology Co. (the company website has a newer version, but here's the old one):

HQBrdcolor1.gif

Maybe the Motorola speaker was louder, or easier to mount or something.

And since there are three tracks, I'd guess that the three identical circuit boards are detectors, and the board marked FL-2 is a control device for the gates and flashers. And there's a relay marked "Auto" and "DY Cabin" which probably switches between automatic and manual operation.

That neat wiring is truly impressive. Quite a rarity in the model railroad world!

Actually there is no manual operation and the speaker was used since it was louder. At shows you couldnt hear the small speaker that is recommended.

That wiring is very well done. I'm impressed with how long those throwbars are to the gates from the Tortoise machines. That must have been quite a job. That Motorola speaker is like ones we had in our patrol cars in the 70's before Motorola went to an all plastic version. Those were all steel with a huge magnet speaker and would handle just about any amount of power you ran though it. I'm sure it was plenty loud enough for train shows. :)

That is very nice! :) I'm planning on having "left-side" signals done in a highway median for a multi-lane highway crossing I'm planning. Good to know it's not all that crazy to work out.

That neat wiring is truly impressive. Quite a rarity in the model railroad world!

I Agree, a few extra minutes of labeling and wire routing can save Hours later when diagnosing a failure!

Here's a pic of the Berkshire Junction boards, just before installation under the layout. Neat eh?

Back