best 4x8 layouts...

Chip,
True, I underesitmated your operations but, as you say, you did make some compromises to have both scenery and operations. Your two level layout helped to really increase the normal 4x8 space as well. Nevertheless, your layout is much more biased toward scenery than most 4x8's, which is the point I was trying to make. It's which way a person wants the balance to tip that will really influence the track plan and decide what's the best 4x8 for them, including what compromises they need to make to reach their goal.

You're right guys. I was a bit vague with my question, so I'll add in my 2 cents worth as regards what I think a good 4x8 plan is.

See attached plan below for my angle on the argument.

I think it's good because -

* Through view blocks (trees, buildings, mountains, etc), the layout is broken up into scenes, giving some illusion of there being more layout than there actually is.

* Multiple levels, giving more room for track, scenery, etc. This is important because, for example, most Model Railroader layouts are a flat plan, and as far as I'm concerned, it's harder to create the illusion of a larger layout if it's all on one level.

* The ability to run passenger trains (ie there is a station, and somewhere the trains can go to)

* A mainline, and a mining line -> a variety of freight train movements and locos/wagons.

* A turntable!

* Because of all the above, it should be possible to be reasonably realistic, and not get bored by the lack of interest.

Those are the main things, and as far as I'm concerned, it's an awful lot in a very compact space, so I'm looking forward to seeing it going.

As I have said before, keep 'em coming!

I am in the scenery camp. When I first became interested in modeling, I found this web site. I searched for 4x8 plans and found Chip's layout. I ended up pretty much copying his general layout. What I've found though, is the further I've moved into building it, the more track I've removed. I realized that I enjoyed building scenery more than running trains. The trains are just part of the scene. If you really enjoy having trains go from one area to another, 4x8's don't seem to be the answer.

This is Charlie Comstock's 4 x 8: The Bear Creek and South Jackson 1.

trkpln4x8_m.gif

bcsj_47c.jpg

bcsj_52c.jpg

bcsj_25c.jpg

bcsj_32c.jpg

First Layout 4.5' X 10.5'

This was my first layout attempt 4.5 X 10.5 so it really doesn't qualify as a 4X8 but is was small. It had 3 tracks with 25,22,and 18 inch radiuses. The 18 inch radius also had a 4% grade. It's now part of my 24' X 30' double deck layout but the radiuses and grades were changed to handle bigger trains.

NYC_George

Old_Layout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys and this thread have given me inspiration. i honestly never thought you can do so much with such a small piece of wood. i definitely like the idea of teh second tier.

Same here....I'm in the process of resurrecting my fathers 5x10 foot layout....I was considering tearing it down and building a shelf layout, but this one is just to the point of wiring....

Nicely done

Excellent layout space mouse however if it were me i would have used a brand of track without a roadbed already attached. I would have used atlas track with a cork roadbed. I am going to start on my first true layout (besides my 4x8 sheet of plywood and track only). I was thinking about doing an old 2003 layout from MR, the turtle creek central but after seeing your layout, i think i will try to combine what i can see from your pictures and elements from turtle creek. Very wonderful layout.
Railroaderboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Although my layout isn't HO 4x8 it could be if i were doing HO! Now mine is more of a working Diaroma than anything else. But I have a interchange to the out side world and some nice switching and plenty of view blocks to help with making a small layout seem bigger.
picture.php

Now my layout might not be to the tastes of some here but to me it's the cats PJ's and that's what really matters the most to me.....:D

Small layout's and Large Layout Both have the same # of advantages and Disadvantages.....It's all matter of, "What works best for YOU and what you have time, money, and space to work with." I seen Lot's of real nice Large Layout and seen ton's of Great Little ones too! I say, "Build what Appeals to you and your Taste!" Just my two cents!:)

Brubakes, the post you referenced is over two years old. I don't know what happened to Maxitrains, but he hasn't posted in over a year. It's unlikely you will get a response.

Brubakes, the post you referenced is over two years old. I don't know what happened to Maxitrains, but he hasn't posted in over a year. It's unlikely you will get a response.

It's nice to hope. People always say search so I was hoping to bring up a thread that might still have current members.

I looked at several, but I chose that one because it offered me an affordable way to learn about model railroading, how to put things together such as buildings and scenery, and easy to build.

These plans are all nice and good - but how do you guys operate these layouts? That's the question - do you guys do a number of laps and then pull into a station, then do a number of laps and pull into a station (maybe the same station) so that there is a feel of being the engineer?

Cheers
Shelton.

I do, I operate mine as a short line. Every Morning the Class 1 leaves me a bunch of cars bound for the industrial area in the interchange. I mentaly jump in my 1910 Box cab and get to work! Then When finished take the switched out cars back to the interchange for pick up and go home!

My layouts main reason for life is for train shows. so the round and round aspect is need to help keep movement on the layout! Tough doing switching jobs while talking to visitors!

Back