Beginner question

JW59HRR

Hello to all---I am new to this haven't used a train since my days as a kid back in the early 60's. Back then it was a Lionel 2-6-0 with a coal tender and a red caboose. Anyways I am totally lost as to the new products today. My interests are in HO, looking at modeling a "local" New England line. Primarily I am interested in GP35 locos. Who makes a decent loco and what do I need to start with. A lot of chatter about DCC, have no clue as to what that is. Should I have DCC compatable stuff? Looking for a decent running with some kind of accurate looks. I have a brother who is big into G scale and he mentioned Athearn. Any help would be appreciated.---John

Hello, I am just getting back into the hobby too! Check out my post labled "getting back into model railroading, lots of q's"
You can read alot of tips and such that people told me.

Thanks for the help and insight on various locomotive makers. I now have a much better idea of what to look for and what this new high tech jargon means! Is there a starter kit for Athearn or another quality maker? What I am going to do is eventually attempt a layout most likely 4' by 6'. I will buy a book to guide me through what I need and how to install it. I'll have lots more questions.---John

Oooooppppsss, I almost forgot, is there any particular coupler to look for or stay away from?---John

John,

Most people use Kaydee couplers these days. There are other versions of them in plastic that are compatible also.

They look like these.

100_1602-1.jpg

Read as much as you can about things, ask a lot of questions. People are very helpful around here. ;)

Hello to all---I am new to this haven't used a train since my days as a kid back in the early 60's. Back then it was a Lionel 2-6-0 with a coal tender and a red caboose. Anyways I am totally lost as to the new products today. My interests are in HO, looking at modeling a "local" New England line. Primarily I am interested in GP35 locos. Who makes a decent loco and what do I need to start with. A lot of chatter about DCC, have no clue as to what that is. Should I have DCC compatable stuff? Looking for a decent running with some kind of accurate looks. I have a brother who is big into G scale and he mentioned Athearn. Any help would be appreciated.---John

Kato, Athearn and Bachmann made fair to great GP35's. Kato probably the best Athearn has produced a RTR model recently. Bachmann is producing a DCC version. Athearn's is DCC ready I think. Unsure on the Kato. I have a old Bachmann that is about 20 years old, noisy but a smooth runner. Not as smooth as the Kato. I prefer Kadee couplers because of their strength. They are metal and when pulling a 50-60 car train up a 2% grade, I've had the clones fail. NAPS (Not A Pretty Site) Do you plan on installing decoders or do you want the decoders on board your engines? DCC ready units have no decoders. Phil. I love Athearn engines

Thanks for the help and insight on various locomotive makers. I now have a much better idea of what to look for and what this new high tech jargon means! Is there a starter kit for Athearn or another quality maker? What I am going to do is eventually attempt a layout most likely 4' by 6'. I will buy a book to guide me through what I need and how to install it. I'll have lots more questions.---John

John,

Welcome to this board.

I feel it is best to buy the track, power supply, locomotive and rolling stock as separate items to get exactly what you need the first time which can save money from upgrading the components from a starter set.

If you really want to start out with a starter set, then I recommend taking a look at the Atlas TRAINMAN starter sets which are one of the better starter sets on the market.

I would strongly consider going with at least DCC ready locomotives since it will make it much easier to switch to DCC in the future.

As far as books, I have really enjoyed the book HO Railroad from start to finish by Jim Kelly. The book covers all the bases of model railroading and has a lot of good information that will really help with building your layout. I have spent lots of hours reading the book and is the one I look at the most.

Here is some more information you may find helpful - Model Railroading

Best regards,
Brian

Is there a starter kit for Athearn or another quality maker?

Yes Athern do supply a starter set, loco, a couple of cars, track & a controller (not sure if it's DCC or not though)..

Kato, Athearn and Bachmann made fair to great GP35's. Kato probably the best Athearn has produced a RTR model recently. Bachmann is producing a DCC version. Athearn's is DCC ready I think. Unsure on the Kato.

Yes the Kato GP35 is DCC ready...

Athearn at one time produced several train sets but these were with the older blue box engines and cars. Not sure if they have upgraded them with their RTR line. The hobbyshop here in Co. Springs carried them over the hoidays. My hometown shop use to make up their own sets using Athearn and Atlas engines and Athearn cars. Suggest you avoid the toy train sets. Phil

Thanks, really want to avoid "toy train" stuff, looking for starter set. I bought my kids those years ago, cheap couplers and plastic wheels. Nothing ever stayed on the track or coupled, more frustration than fun! Also I don't want any line, I am looking at something more regional or local. Code 83 track? I am learning SLOWLY, but am not buying until I have a better knowledge. Will those Kaydee couplers fit all makes rolling stock?---John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, really want to avoid "toy train" stuff, looking for starter set. I bought my kids those years ago, cheap couplers and plastic wheels. Nothing ever stayed on the track or coupled, more frustration than fun!

All rolling stock, even the top end stuff needs to be checked with a back to back gauge to ensure everything is in gauge for 100% trouble free running, but that said even an item of rolling stock that is 100% in tune will run poorly on badly laid track.. One item I recommend that you purchase is the NMRA Standards gauge, it's quite cheap and will save you a lot of headaches..

Will those Kadee couplers fit all makes rolling stock?

One way or another yes.. Most can be directly replaced, some will require complete removal and a kadee draft gearbox to be attached as well depending on what rolling stock you have...

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a track question. I am hearing code 83 is the better track? Also that nickle is better than steel? How much per piece, I know that depends but as a general rule on a straight and a curve. Also when I do get to a permanent layout I need a guage and are all the connections soldered? I suppose when I get my books it will answer these but I find word of mouth from experienced modelers to be just as useful and may find a few tricks not in the books.
Thanks---John

code 83 is the most "realistic" track. The code is just the size of the rails and such. Code 100 is less realistic but you have less problems running older rail cars on it. As for track, its all different. Depends on brands, if you want individual peices or 36 inch sections of flex track. But what I can tell you is that a 36 inch peice of flex track is going to cost around 4.50$ (the more you buy at one time the more you save)

One thing that helps lay smoother track is the use of a cork roadbed to put the track on. The cork is flexible for straights and curves.
I use latex caulk to "glue" the cork down. But it is for semi-permanate trackwork.

Back