begining a layout.

MitchyG

the new guy
I am 12 and looking to start an ho layout of my own. I had no idea where to start, so I looked at craigslist and found some models that I think would be OK. First i found 2 athearn pa-1's (One powered and one dummy) and a Bachman 4-8-4 j class steam engine. This came with 20 boxcars and a large oval track of which the dimensions were not stated. ($75) The other offer was a 5' by 5.5' table with a blank homosote top. This came with 16 cars, two diesels, and lots of scenery. It comes with about 50' of track. The companies are odel Power and Life-Like He said he bought this for $300 new. ($130)

Of the choices I like the first offer's engines better and think they are higher quality. They come with more cars, and are cheaper. The other offer has scenery and probably has more track. However, these are not in as good condition and have sit in an attic for 10 years. Both have little use.

Thanks for reading this and any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you would be better off with the first offer. Athearn and Bachmann are both better quality than ModelPower or LifeLike. You get more cars, too.
The table, while nice, is rather small, and tables are not that expensive to build. A good size for your first layout would be a 4x8, which is a standard sheet of plywood. Put some 2x4's around the edges and a couple across the middle, add legs and you're done with the table.
Here is a great place to start your adventure into what may become a lifetime hobby:
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/
Welcome to the hobby!

If the Life-Like units are standard line avoid them like the plague. If they're Proto 1000 or Proto 2000 then they'll be worth getting. The trainset quality Life-Like rolling stock is well worth avoiding as is the track. Power-Lock track isn't what I'd call quality merchandise but the nickel-silver track (gray roadbed) is better than the steel track (black roadbed).

First off welcome to the forums, im 14 so i guess im not the young guy here anymore :)

Second, i would go with the 1st layout. Its probably a good thing that it doesnt have scenery because you can then build it the way you want it to be. Also, with the extra money youll keep you can probably buy another locomotive of whatever you would like. Also, if its just an oval of track it will be enough to allow you to run trains and then focus on building it the way you like. The locomotives in the first one are better as well, but saying how theyve sat for 10 years, theyll most likely need a good cleaning and check up before the run. The track will probably need to be cleaned too.

Welcome Mitch,

I suggest you read my "Beginner's Guide to Layout Design" before you buy anything. It will take you 10 minutes. Click from my signature.

(As suggested, the first deal is better.)

Welcome aboard, Mitch. The first offer is clearly better because the manufacturers mentioned are better.

And I'd do the benchwork myself and come up with a canvas I'd be happy with, not force myself to get a ready made table that can cause frustration because of space constraints.

change of plans....

Unfortuneatly, the $75 deal is off. However, I have found another-
2 bachman trainsets- flying scotsman and the oriental express for $50. Is this a good deal? I think it's very good.

2 bachman trainsets- flying scotsman and the oriental express for $50. Is this a good deal? I think it's very good.

Just make sure there is nothing substantially wrong with them.

Is it just the train or track included? Also, those are really old trains (era-wise not age), is it something your even interested in?

It is only a good deal if that is exactly what you want to model and you are willing to put up with train set quality stuff.

If you answer no to either, save your money.

If you want to save money, figure out what you want to model and only buy that stuff. If you buy stuff that is not what you really want to model, you are buying shelf fodder.

It starts with some basic "train knowledge" and continues on to the more detailed aspects of the hobby. Right about now, you're probably excited to try a different layout than the one that came with your box, but you're not quite sure what. Why not start off with what I call the "out-and-home" layout?

Imagine this route for your model: your locomotive starts at the terminal. You send it out and it arrives at a terminal in another "city." Well, okay, so this new terminal has an eerie resemblance to the first terminal. That's because it’s the same one.

I'm not going to get the sets. But, from the same guy, I am getting a switcher($5) a bachman+ F-7 a+b units, (both powered) ($40) and ahudson streamline passenger set (but only if the price is right):D If there are any blatant problems with this, LET ME KNOW, remember, I have know idea whati'm doing:eek:

Waht kind of switcher and who makes it? Is it new or used? How old? Same questions with the other engines. The Bachmann Plus line of locomotives were made in the early 90's, so they may not be in the best condition. Again, who made the Hudson set and how much has it been used? I know it's tough to wait when you're young and want something but there are literally millions of pieces of model railroad equipment out there for sale. Getting things that don't run right or run poorly will give you a bad taste for model railroading right from the start.

I'm pretty sure the hudson is still in the box, but i'm not sure of the brand. I'll probably offer $30 for the F7, (if it's in good condition) and the switcher is only $5, so if it blows up after a few hours, I really won't care:)

well hi im 13 and well i got something like that the first optoin at a garage sale for 5 buccks for all

i love indiana

my grandparents live in columbus IN

The hudson is a 7 car AHM set. He wants $50, but I don't think it's worth that,so I'll offer $25-$40. sound good?

He also has a DD40

If it's the seven car set with the Hudson locomotive, $50 is actually a very fair price, unless it's been used and abused. One thing to keep in mind is that you're going to need a minimum of 22" radius curves to run that train. Same with the DD40. Do you have enough room for at least a 4x8 tabletop, or enough room to run a shelf around the room that would give you 22" radius curves? It's much better to buy models that will run on your layout than ones that you will have to shoehorn in later. That's why having some understanding of exactly what kind of space you have to work with and at least a sketch track plan is a good idea. No sense in paying good money for things that will end up being display shelf queens. :)

Back