Bashed bridge for the layout

Lateral-G

Chief Test Pilot
Here's a few pics of my third bridge for my layout. I bashed a ME tall stell viaduct and an Atlas deck truss. Bridge ties are from Black Bear Construction Co. Span is 230 scale feet (31").

viaductinwork1.jpg

viaductinwork2.jpg

viaductinwork3.jpg

-G-

Real nice. You did a great job. Aren't those Micro Engineering Viaducts just wonderful?

David

Real nice. You did a great job. Aren't those Micro Engineering Viaducts just wonderful?

David

They're nice but man there are a lot of parts and the sprue gate clean up is quite tedious on those lattice pieces :rolleyes: You really need the glass tube liquid cement applicators for assembly. They do look good when finally assembled though. I didn't like the bridge deck, however. I can see it being sectional if you're doing a curved bridge but for a straight run I didn't want to have to mess with joiners/gaps, etc. This way I can spike down one continuous length of rail.

I still need to make the walkway and refuges. More pics soon, I hope...:eek:

-G-

ME Viaducts

They're nice but man there are a lot of parts and the sprue gate clean up is quite tedious on those lattice pieces :rolleyes: You really need the glass tube liquid cement applicators for assembly. They do look good when finally assembled though. I didn't like the bridge deck, however. I can see it being sectional if you're doing a curved bridge but for a straight run I didn't want to have to mess with joiners/gaps, etc. This way I can spike down one continuous length of rail.

I still need to make the walkway and refuges. More pics soon, I hope...:eek:

-G-

Yes, I have the same opinion. Very nice, but very tedious in detaching from the sprue and cleaning up afterwards. Liquid cement is also the way to go, using capillary action.

I model European, and the bridge deck wasn't suitable for that either. The Shinohara Bridge Flextrack goes on nicely.

David

I need to go back over the ties with stain again. Then I'll spike down the track. Once the track is spiked down then the entire bridge and towers will be painted and weathered. I'll put it in place temporarily to make sure it'll fit, run a train or two over it then remove for finishing the scenery. (can't mess it up with stray plaster, right?) It's going on a section of track along the wall so I need to finish the backdrop behind it as well before final installation. I'm working from the back to the front so I don't have to climb over finished scenery to work another section.

Stay tuned for pictures/updates of the installation site to give you a better idea.

-G- (making it up as I go along :p )

Here's a few pics of the abutments I made from sheet styrene:

viaductabutments1.jpg

viaductabutments2.jpg

The viaduct site on my layout:

viaductsite1.jpg

Here's the main span in place:

viaductspaninplace2.jpg

And a close up of the abutments installed:

abutmentdetail1.jpg

viaductabutmentdetail2.jpg

I placed the towers to get an over all effect:

viaductspanwithtowers1.jpg

viaductspanwithtowers3.jpg

Still more to do....

-G-

Very nice construction and engineering job, including getting the correct bridge shoes. Building a bridge that size doesn't seem too bad until you get started - then you wonder if you'll ever get done. :)

Thanks guys.

I re-stained the wood ties and started spiking the bridge rail down last night.

Slow process.

-G-

Back