ballasting my first layout

unkaboose

ok this is my very first attempt at ballasting flex and ez track still need to vacuum the excess when its dry, so bring forth the critisizm lol.

Attachments

• get-attachment (10).jpg
    get-attachment (10).jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 213
What kind of ballast did you use? Some would slide some ties under where the tracks join (flex track), I can't really tell but don't want any on the inside of the rails where it might interfere with a wheel.

Looks better than my first attempt, which took several days.

i bought a 2 lb bag of rock at a fabric shop near me called joanns for 3.49, it was the perfect size. they had a size suitable for n scale also. i rolled a car across that section when i finished and it never hit nothing. i used a damp foam pad on rails to do cleanup. im sure after it drys just a dry brush will finish it out, then ill vacuum

Looks fine to me. The main part is the final touch up with a small brush before applying the wet water and glue.

Ballast on well maintained main lines will usually not be found on or above the ties or the foot of the rail.

You may want to consider painting the rails and ties a rust brown color before adding the ballast.
Steve

I didn't paint rails until my 3rd layout. It adds a lot to the layout, but most people can't see it, you have to take a closeup photo.

Back