Baggage cars on short Amtrak routes

JWhite

I live on the old IC (now CN) mainline in Southern Illinois. Tracks are 100 yards from my front door. The City of New Orleans and a couple runs (The Saluki and another) from Chicago to Carbondale, IL where Southern Illinois University is located go past the house daily. In the past week or so the Carbondale trains have been running 3 old streamlined baggage cars on the head end. I wonder what they are hauling. They nevver had baggage cars in their consists before.

Since Amtrak recently obtained new baggage cars, the cars you observed of may be deadheading to a location for disposal or storage. The new single level cars were to replace older head end equipment.

Since Amtrak recently obtained new baggage cars, the cars you observed of may be deadheading to a location for disposal or storage. The new single level cars were to replace older head end equipment.

Certainly sounds like a sensible reason :rolleyes:.

No I don't think they are being moved for storage or scrap. They are running in both directions. Been in Kansas visiting my son who is home on leave from Korea. I'll try and shoot some pictures later this afternoon when the Northbound goes past. (Just missed the Southbound, didn't hear it until it was almost past.)

Back