Backing/Shoving Long Trains

DougC

All:

Regarding backing/shoving long trains I ‘d like to share a success story. I’ve learned a lot on this forum, and in return you all might find my experience interesting and some of it helpful.

As info I’m 63, started model railroading in 1961 with a Gilbert American Flyer S gauge set. My HO layout described below is my second HO layout. I’ve been employed by 5 different railroads, in order – C&TS RR in Chama NM, Texas State Railroad in Rusk TX, Missouri Pacific RR in Bismarck MO, Frisco Railroad in Chattanooga TN, and the Burlington Northern RR in Springfield MO, Portland OR and Overland Park (Kansas City area) KS. For the past 16 years with my own company I’ve made my living moving high, wide and overweight loads (boilers, pressure vessels, heat exchangers, transformers, generators, presses, etc.) on railroads in the US, Canada and Mexico. I’m now retired from that.

I’ve posted most of the following basic info before in various threads on this site but I’ll go ahead and repeat them here in summary form.

My model railroad is set in the mid-1970s, the location is somewhere in “the only flat spot" in West Virginia, and the road names of most of the engines (95% diesel – 70% Bachmann, 30% Atlas Trainman) are from the CSX family tree. As this time frame was a period of significant change in the railroad industry I can historically run 2, 3 or more different road names in a power consist – convenient and interesting.

Anyway, the layout is 17 years old and is HO. It has 4 separate loops with a small yard and 3 small industries and a team track. It is L shaped with the inside L corner curve tracks pushed back toward their matching outside curve tracks. I’ve changed some of the track four times over these 17 years averaging about a 3% change each time – so it’s basically still the same. It is as perfectly flat as I can make it. The layout has also been disassembled into two sections (built this way for this purpose) and moved twice in these 17 years.

It is all DC (no DCC) and I use 5 MRC Tech 2 Railmaster 2400 power packs.

The track is all Atlas Code 100 NS flex. The 24 turnouts are all old Model Power #4 electrics (except one Model Power electric curve-on-curve.) There are 9 Atlas crossing diamonds of varying degrees in use. At the yard throat I used a Model Power Double Slip Switch for 16 years, but this year I exchanged it for two standard MP #4s (the DSS was getting troublesome.)

The three major loops’ radii are 23”, 19” and 16”. The ore train (with only AHM shorty ore cars, one loco [an Atlas Trainman RS32] and one caboose) operates on 11” radius curves, and its loop is 80% hidden (makes the “boring” unit train more interesting/fascinating when it pops out and back in; it does so twice when making the full loop. You never get to see the entire train at once.)

I’ve got about 300 railcars. For most of these 17 years I have chosen railcars based on their looks (not manufacturer; that’s one reason I have used Code 100 – to accommodate all types of wheels including the pizza cutters.) I have and run freight cars manufactured by Athearn (BlueBox and a few RTR), MDC/RH, Bachmann, Life Like, AHM, Atlas, Walthers, plus miscellaneous – Tyco, Mantua, Tru Scale plus 2 or 3 more. About 95% of all the railcars have plastic wheels; the rest metal.

The maximum car length is 52’. ALL cars no matter their length are targeted for a weight of 2.5 ounces each. I guess the average is currently around 3 ounces per car.

The couplers are mostly all KDs with a few of the other brand of plastic couplers on the 32-car unit ore train (I glue the plastic knuckles shut – I find these couplers are generally risky and/or useless on long trains as the greater stress on their shanks/necks can and do bend vertically resulting in a broke-in-two train.)

As most of you do, I bring all my railcars to the “car shop” before operating them. The normal biggest problems are the various trucks and wheel sets. I do what I need to in order get the cars to roll at least well – fixing, grinding, filing, shimming, filling the railcar frame’s truck bolster holes and drilling them out, changing, exchanging, gauging, cleaning, lubing if needed, etc. to most all the trucks and axle/wheels combos (Intermountain replacement wheel sets are a big help.) Sometimes this work is a real pain. And I will admit I spend far more time on fixing/upgrading cars (and adding weight to locomotives) than I do to scenery. You can tell where my priorities are. But they pay do off -

Yesterday, for the first time on my 19” radius loop, I ran a 70-car train around it backwards three times in a row with no derailments (and I didn’t cherry-pick the cars.) That was VERY satisfying. The locos were two Bachmann GP 35s (WM) with their DCC boards removed and about 3 ounces added to each. Speed was about a scale 15mph – slow, steady and smooth. This train had 12 52’ cars with the rest 40’ and under, and 85% to 90% plastic wheels, the rest metal wheels. There were at least 6 to 7 different manufacturers’ cars in the train.

[By the way, why do I want to back/shove long trains? Because it’s a challenge and it when successful it tells me I’ve got the actual, physical train operations about as good as I’m going to get them.]

And, as you can guess, I’m very particular about my trackwork (absolutely necessary for running a 70-car train backwards or even forward on this relatively tight radius route.) ALL rail joints are soldered, and the electric gaps are made with a Dremel cut-off disk after gluing the rail to the tie strip 3 ties-spaces on each side of the proposed cut location. Every joint or cut gets the Dremel tool and/or file smooth-it-out-treatment. The track turnouts and crossing diamonds have all gotten “The treatment” before they were installed. For more info see my responses to Unfettered’s thread, “Turnouts Question”, of 9-15-11 on this site under Scale Specific Discussions:HO.

I hope this info was beneficial or at least interesting to you, and if you have any thoughts, questions, procedures, tips, ideas, etc., lay ‘em on me. [I’m just waiting for one of you to say, “With all this backwards business, I’ll bet when you run your 70-car train forward there’s cars derailed all along the right of way.” :)]

DougC

Very impressive! I'm in the process of finishing my third layout since I was about 12 years old, back in '54. I've got some tweeking of rolling stock, couplers and track to do. I like running passenger trains quite a bit, but am now starting improving my rolling stock, some of which is an actual 57 years old! I reckon I'll worry about backing my trains after I get them rolling trouble-free in forward motion. One of my older kitbashed/semi-scratch boxcars was derailing on Atlas #4 turnouts. It had Kaydee wheels in a plastic truck. In frustration, I finally re-installed plastic wheels that have steel axles. Problem solved! Go figure. My layout is in a 14' x 13' 7" room, in the form of a reverse "G", in a folded dogbone single mainline (appears double where the opposite sides of the loops come together. I, too, run primarily DC, though a couple of engines have sound. I run a Tech 6 6.0 amp power pack, and switch electronically, depending on what I am running. I limit my train lengths to fit in yards, passing sidings, etc., so my Zephyrs and Empire Builders are limited to about six 72" passenger cars. As I said, I''m just starting to work my freight trains. I can run hotshot refer blocks, mixed freights, and coal trains with loaded hoppers coming from a coal mine on one branch, being assembled in the Galesburg yard, then dragged uphill and "across country" to Aurora (Colorado???) where they are pushed in behind a coal-fired electric utility. They are then moved downhill, out of sight, to emerge from the same mine area, pushed onto a siding to await another trip uphill. Meanwhile, a string of empties is pushed uphill on the hidden track that the loaded ones came down, so the empties emerge from behind the electric company. They are then sorted out and assembled to a train in plain view to be returned to the mine for "reloading". I model the 1950's, so freight car lengths run in the 35-50' lengths, allowing more cars per train. Motive power can be 1st & 2nd generation diesels or kitbashed steam ranging from 2-8-2's to 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's, kitbashed from Mantua Mike kits, remotored and gear-boxed. None of these have sound...yet!

Green board all the way!

trailrider:

Thanks for your response. And if I can say so quietly, y o u ' r e o l d e r t h a n m e. :)

Looks like we have a generally similar approach - only you on the passenger side and me on the freight side. However your layout is quite a bit bigger.

I like your description of the in/out load/empties set up. When I was designing my layout I tried to work something like that in, but didn't. And anyway, I prefer operating in what some folks call the "roundy roundy" way - it relaxes me and I don't have to do any work. It's also satisfying in that when all three long trains and the ore train are crawing around their respective loops, one time I counted up all the wheels turning (on locos and cars) and the total came to 1,960. And they can run like this for an hour per day for many days with no derailments.

Your layout's time period is a good flexible time for steam and/or diesel, various passenger trains, and as you mentioned short freight cars too (= more per train.) Also, like on my layout, they look a lot better on the shorter radius curves. I have a pair of Bachmann SD40-2s (my favorite diesels; I rode them a lot in the 1970s when I was braking on the MoPac in the Missouri Ozarks) that I run only on the outside, 23" radius loop, Visually they are okay (model railroads ARE representative) but they start to push my visual acceptance line if I put them on the 19" radius loop."

DougC

Howdy, again, DougC,
I sorta envy you in that you worked on the prototype. (Though I "did my own thing" working on the Space Shuttle, etc., during my career. Wouldn't trade that experience.) As far as me being older than you, sometimes I think I'm older than the potting soil my wife uses on her flowers! :p

Tell you a true story: In 1948, when I was about 6 years old, my parents and I were on our way via Burlington Zephyr from Chicago to Quincy, Illinois, to visit my Mom's parents. We pulled into Galesburg, Illinois, on a regularly scheduled stop. The conductor came through and announced that we were held there because President Truman's "whistlestop" campaign special was coming through, and it would be awhile before we'd be able to continue on our way. Now my Dad was probably the only Republican in Chicago ;), and he wasn't going to vote for Truman...but he felt I should get to see the President of the United States. So he put me up on his shoulders, and we walked over to the other track. There was quite a crowd, so we couldn't get very close. But I did get to see President Truman standing on the observation platform of the Ferdinand Magellan. Now, if you visit the Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the C.B.&Q., you may see a four-car train, with President Truman on the rear platform, with an aide and Bess. the train is pulled by a kitbashed Mountain-type hog (made from Mantua Mikado and Pacific parts). If you look closely at the Galesburg station, you'll see a man with a little boy on his shoulders, in with (a much smaller) the crowd, waiting for the campaign special to come through and stop. :)

Another true fact is that my Grandfather (Dad's father) rode the initial Zephyr run in 1934 from Denver to Chicago! Now that Zephyr resides on the lower level of the Museum of Science in Industry in Chicago. It only has the three cars, Grandpa rode, rather than the four-car version I rode. Not enough room for the fourth car, I guess.

From the radii you talk about, I presume you are using Shinohara sectional track, as they are the only outfit making those curves. To get my loops to fit in the available space, leaving enough aisle space to walk around, I wound up using 20" Shinohara track, with inner siding loops of 18" and 15" mixed in. In some instances, I even used 22" Atlas at the ends of the loops for transition, and 18" where needed. The "sad" thing about having been in the hobby this long is that I hardly have room to store a lot of rolling stock, let alone run it all at the same time. I also have bought an Athearn SD70, as I will have to have something for grandkids, neighbor's kids, etc., to relate to, since the only thing they see are BNSF unit coal trains running down the front range of the Rockies. (Boooring!)

Green boards all the way!
Trailrider

trailrider:

Thanks for your two stories. I particularly like the one about you on your Dad's shoulders and, lo and behold, there's a scene like that on your model railroad.

As regards to the type of track I use on my curves - it's ALL Atlas Code 100 Nickle Silver flex. No sectional track used. I carefully used a pencil lightly with a yard stick as the radius tool, drew the radius line, and included an easement into all the curves. This is all on 4'x8'x3/4" pieces of those blue styrofoam (insulation) sheets. Even though the curves are not 100% perfect, they look perfect and function that way*. So I'm a happy camper. With all the "practice" I've had laying and changing flex track I'm very comfortable with it and my procedures.

* As info, I've got a hidden 13' long short cut to my part of my 16" radius loop. The short cut has one curve and it's radius is 12" with short easements. The curve is over 180 degrees, and I've run a 60 car train through there many times with no problems. And this train has about 15 52' cars on it. Oh, and NO, I'm not going to try backing the train through it (well......., at least not now.) :)

DougC

Let me know if you try backing through the 12" curve! I'll keep the "big hook" standing by. If you did all those tight radii curved tracks using flex track, you are a better man than I am Gunga Din! If I could have had a better supply of the old fiber tie flex track, I might have tried it. (I still have some left over from my first layout as a kid...some copper rails, some with nickel-silver. Comes in handy in certain applications since it will hold the curves without sitting on it or laying a brick on it.) Besides which, patience is not my long suit! The curved sectional track went together quicker.

I have two other little scenes, but they aren't based on anything that I know of, though it doubtless occured somewhere, sometime. In the alley, behind the main street in the city of Galesburg, there are several figures kneeling in a huddle. A policeman is out on a corner about a block and half away, directing traffic, blissfully unaware that Nathan Detroit is running the oldest, continuous floating crap game in that alley! The other scene, some distance away, in a grove of trees, not far from the main line near the yard, a number of "knights of the road" have lighted a fire and are enjoying some "joe", hoping that the "bulls" don't catch them. Back in the yard, the police are investigation the loss of some prize chickens that were being shipped to the state fair. And the "'bo's" are enjoying a hearty chicken dinner! ;) Oh, yes, there's another vignette... In the rail yard, there are three flatcars. On one, are a pair of M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" tanks, the ones with the higher velocity 76mm gun. (A little piece of sprue of slightly larger diameter than the barrel forms the muzzle brake on each tube.) On the next flatcar is the chassis and turret of a Soviet T-34. The turret ring is blackened and there is a small hole in the side of the turret. The turret is on the floor of the flat. The T-34 is being shipped to an Army depot for analysis. On the third flatcar is a whole T-34, also bound for evaluation. It seems that the first T-34 manned by North Koreans lost in a shootout with the Shermans. When the crew of the second -34 saw what had happened, they bailed out and surrender.

On a happier note, over in the town of Grashhook, Illinois, a G.G.& W. Climax with a drover's waycar and a Gorre & Daphetid open platform tourist train is gettnig set to move uphill to "Dunston's Crossing", a reproduction Old West town at the top of the main grade. I had originally had a similar site as a ski resort, but there isn't as much room as I had on the previous layout.

As soon as I can take some pictures and figure out how to get them posted, I will. (Dunston's Crossing for now only has the station and the foundations of the village, but no scenery.)

Green board all the way!
Trailrider

It's been said the true test of how a layout runs is backing long trains without incident (no derails, etc.). A couple of things make that possible: good track work (both straight and curved) with no kinks or big gaps between rail ends, properly weighted cars and properly body mounted & maintained couplers. No Talgo trucks/couplers. I validated my current layout by running 12 40's/50's freight car trains backward all around the layout without derailments. It was and is something to behold watching the train snake backwards through switches in my yard. Then I ballasted everything.

The only reason I don't run longer trains as that's all my current layout is sized for. I do have the rolling stock to go way longer (200 or so) but not the room to run them.

Actually negotiating a 12 inch curve in HO isn't that difficult. It's done all the time on traction layouts. The biggest obstacle is getting enough swing in the trucks and couplers. You might have to run longer shanks on those Kadee's. And cut back the center sill on freight cars.

All very true! I never replaced the truck-mounted couplers on my passenger cars. I can get away with backing my passenger trains a short distance around my 20" radius curves. Maybe someday I'll get around to body-mounting couplers on the passenger cars. I don't have any problem with backing long cuts of 40'-50' freight cars around 15" radius curves. Correctly weighting and checking wheel gages also help.

I, too, have far more rolling stock (about 57 years worth!) than I have room to run on my 14' x 14' layout. If I were to put all the freight cars on my layout, I might wind up with the waycar (caboose) coupled to the lead engine! Not sure if that's true of my passenger train rolling stock. But such long trains don't look quite right on a layout of this size. Passenger trains are generally limited to about six cars plus the "motors" (diesel engines) or an eight-coupled steam locomotive (4-8-4, 4-8-2, etc.). President Harry Truman's 1948 "Whistlestop Campaign Special" has four cars behind a Mountain, when I run it. Any longer and they just don't look right. I've run up to about 20-25 freight cars in a train. I suspect that if I finally get around to running modern equipment, instead of 1950's period, I might get 20-25 bathtub gons behind a single SD70m. Only reason for doing that is when I have grandkids over who have never seen anything besides prototype BNSF 105 car unit coal trains on the prototype.

Green board all the way!

All very true! I never replaced the truck-mounted couplers on my passenger cars. I can get away with backing my passenger trains a short distance around my 20" radius curves. Maybe someday I'll get around to body-mounting couplers on the passenger cars. I don't have any problem with backing long cuts of 40'-50' freight cars around 15" radius curves. Correctly weighting and checking wheel gages also help.
Passenger cars are one of those strange instances for coupler mounting techniques because of the length of the car versus the tight radii we use on our layouts. I have some commercial built passenger cars (the long 80 footers) that have body mounted couplers but the coupler mounting is a special one that hinges and swings side to side as the truck underneath that end goes around curves or through turnouts. The tightest I've run them around is 22 inch radius.

If you're talking about the Bachmann cars that have an internal linkage between the coupler pockets and the trucks, I think it's ingenious. The coupler pockets ARE body mounted, but are hooked up to levers inside the car to the trucks so that when the trucks swing, it swings the coupler pocket discreetly and keeps the coupler over the center of the gauge. Because of the linkage on the body mount and not outright truck mounting, the cars have no problem backing over tight curves or switches.

If you're talking about the Bachmann cars that have an internal linkage between the coupler pockets and the trucks, I think it's ingenious. The coupler pockets ARE body mounted, but are hooked up to levers inside the car to the trucks so that when the trucks swing, it swings the coupler pocket discreetly and keeps the coupler over the center of the gauge. Because of the linkage on the body mount and not outright truck mounting, the cars have no problem backing over tight curves or switches.
Yep - those are the ones! And I think they're the only Bachmann I have anymore. Now if I could find something like that for my Branchline Trains passenger cars I'd be in hog heaven.

Walthers Passenger Couplers, & backing trains

Yep - those are the ones! And I think they're the only Bachmann I have anymore. Now if I could find something like that for my Branchline Trains passenger cars I'd be in hog heaven.
How about those 'swing couplers' on the newer Walthers Passenger cars? I started a new thread on that subject.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30212

BTW I also am a great believer that if you can get a sizable train to back thru tight turns then you've got the right combination of weight and trucks, etc on the individual cars. I use to challenge myself to get long trains to back into the 'Y' of my freight yard thru relatively tight radius and over a number of turnouts and crossing on my Atlas plan ' Central Midland' layout, And my modified close coupling Concor passenger cars presented an extra challenge.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93274&posted=1#post93274

Therein is a reference to a couple of deferent hints I uesed to chech my trackwork:
Take a good 'wood paint sturr stick' and lay it on edge across the tops of your rails to see the height variations. For really finding subtle derailment spots run a 6-axle diesel engine with very small flange wheels across suppect portions of rail (like an Spectrum), and 3-axle truck will tend to rest on just two of the axles allowing the 3rd overhanging one to derail with the small flanges not preventing it. If you can run this engine around the layout without derailments then you have some pretty good track work.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the exception of four P2K E-units, which pull the Denver Zephyr and a couple of commuter trains, I pretty much stick with B-B diesels. Three of the P2K's are equipped with DCC/Sound. The rest run on DC. I also have some kitbashed E-7's that were made up from Athearn PA chasis that have been stretch to fit E-7 bodies. These are the older Athearn's with the inside bearings. I've removed the center wheels from the axles to fascillitate taking tight-radius curves. The axles and the gears remain in place in the gear train, but I don't have to worry about the center flanges derailing. The P2K's get limited to the 20 and 18" radius track, which they will handle. I can back the six-car passenger trains somewhat, but don't do it as a practice more than I can help. Freight cars, being limited primarily to 40' and weighted heavily, with Kaydee wheels, don't have problems, though I haven't attempted to back more than about a dozen cars, simply due to the available space.

Ken:

I've thought of taking videos of my 65- to 70-car trains backing around around the 19" and 16" curves and maybe posting them somewhere, however....

A couple of years ago I tried posting a pic here, followed all the directions carefully, and it failed. Tried another time or two, still failed. So I dropped the subject - and it's still dropped. I don't need the frustration.

I just turned 65 and a few months ago I paid $185 to have the electronic security system of my car killed. I could NEVER (in 7 years) figure out why the horn would just start beeping - even though I read the instructions three times. I guess the manufacturers figure all owners are 100% computer savvy, understand the foreign language used with computers, and think intuitively.

DougC

I just turned 65 and a few months ago I paid $185 to have the electronic security system of my car killed. I could NEVER (in 7 years) figure out why the horn would just start beeping - even though I read the instructions three times. I guess the manufacturers figure all owners are 100% computer savvy, understand the foreign language used with computers, and think intuitively.

DougC
Are you by any chance talking about OnStar? Got that in our cars here - what a PITA.

Back