Backdrops:materials, construction, etc...

otiscnj

Hi,
I'm starting construction of a rather large HO layout in my basement. Before I have to reach over the scenery, and while I can still move the tables around, I'm considering how to add a backdrop.
The walls in my basement are concrete, and I'm not looking to finish the basement. Instead, I'm interesed in adding say a 2' high 'backdrop' to the rear of my tables. In many spots my tables are about 24" wide.
I was wondering if any modular guys, or anyone else for that matter, has ideas about how to add, and support a back drop to your tables, and what materials you use for the backdrop itself. I figure at some point to add either painted backdrops, or photo murals, of places I'm trying to model.
My thoughts are to construct the backdrop out of masonite(or its successor), with vertical posts every so often, to act as stiffeners. A friend mentioned 'illustration board,' however I'm not quite sure what that is.
Thanks in advance,
Car;

Masonite works fine, but have you considered using plastic? Some signmakers have 3/16" sheets on rolls. I got hold of some after I made my (masonite) backdrop....

I used masonite with wood 1/2" by 1" by 24" verticle supports every few feet. They were air-nailed to the wall. Air gun staples hold the masonite to the strips. My masonite strips are 24-inches tall.

It can curve to a nice radius in room corners. The corners get the middle of each 8 foot long portion. The remaining sections were cut to fit. The splice-gaps were filled with liquid nails. I don't have big humidity-swings here so it holds up pretty well.

Rolling a coat of light sky blue over it, as a first step, made a huge difference to the perceived depth of the layout. Then you can airbrush haze and clouds for more depth. The backdrop curves behind the paint factory.The cow scene has the same curved corner section. You can add distant hills when time permits.

You might add a thin continuous plastic sheet bonded on the masonite and avoid patching seams.

My backdrop hangs on the walls and there's a small gap between it and the benchwork. scenery elements hide this and makes it (maybe) possible to move the layout someday if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My approach was similar to that previously listed, but the materials were a bit different.

I had used 1/8" Masonite for backdrop on the first section of my multi-part home layout, but switched to plastic for subsequent portions. My latest addition follows this plastic sheet approach.

I needed a 12' foot run of backdrop this time, with varying curvatures, so I used broader wood uprights for support. Normally 1x2's would be OK.

I cut a series of 28" tall 1x4's and screwed these to the rear of the new layout modular section. From Home Depot I purchased an inexpensive 4'x6' plastic backsplash/bathtub surround sheet. This material is between 1/16" and 3/32" and is very flexible. It is textured on one side, flat on the other. Obviously, the flat side was used for the background. This plastic sheet was easily cut lengthwise into two 24"x72" sections, as I needed a 12 foot run for the backdrop. The sections were attached to the 1x4's with paneling adhesive, clamped initially at the top and screwed (with fender washers added) to the 1x4's at the bottom.

05-26-11004A.jpg

After the image below was taken, the joint between the sections was given a coating of joint compound, which was sanded smooth to hide the butt joint completely. The screws and fender washers near the bottom will later be hidden by scenery

IMGP1410A.jpg

The backdrop was subsequently painted a sky blue color. Clouds and a mid-ground photo image of hills were added, resulting in a final look like this:

IMGP1115A1.jpg

NYW&B

Some people use metal roof flashing - comes in several widths and roll lengths. Relatively cheap at HoPo, etc.

Have to be careful using tinsnips and mind the edges - they can be quite sharp.

On my hollow core door shelf switcher, I'm just using a rectangular section of 1/2-in blue foam since I have no curves. I lightly brushed on some leftover ceiling white paint on the bottom and then above for a few streaky clouds. It's attached / supported by screws through 1/4-in by 1-in slats into the back of my HCD. Not spectacular, but I'm a minimalist on scenery. LOL!

for my displays at train shows, i display my backdrops, I use a length of wood with a slot for a piece of masonite. Then I put trains on the forward portion of the wood. The masonite has a backdrop glued to it and is easily slid in and out of the slot which was simply cut with a table saw. Easy and it stand upright pretty well.

You mentioned modular so this method would certainly work with a layout you plan to move a lot.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm not familiar with the plastic film material. I had thought about the slots on the uprights, for the masonite. I can see myself using a lot of photo mural type backdrops, in addition to 'clump mountains.'

Back