Back from the Big E!

Pete V

CEO Bangor and Santa Fe
That was one big train show. Four ( I think) buildings, two really large of nothing but train stuff.

There were a number of tool booths I loved and got hemostats of various types, little screw grabbers, 100 packs of xacto blades and a pounce wheel. Then corrugated metal and paper roofing from NE Scale Lumber along with sash windows doors and loading dock gates. . They had a lot of 8 inch wide scored bass wood sheet that I have trouble getting. I did not get to meet Alan (Espee) but I did get a bunch of really subtle weathering paints from the Iwata booth. They had really nice stuff! Then a few vehicles, an old micro bus and a school bus. I also got the book on "The Gorre & Daphetid Railroad of John Allen's. The last thing was to join the NMRA. At that point my budget was officially blown.

There were some great displays by several 1/87th vehicle modeling associations. Nothing of it was for sale and they took a lot of space. Just great vehicles with guys sitting behind the tables but not engaging with anyone at all.

Alan was holding forth with full groups participating in airbrush demos. All these guys with little blue latex gloves hanging on his every word and stroke. He really held their attention. In the next demo area people were cutting away sprues on design preservation materials buildings. The woman describing the process of how to not get killed by an xacto knife blade were pretty funny. She was seriously worked up about the certainly of a painful death from a #11 blade.

The Amherst Train society sponsors the whole thing and I got toured around for a while by one of their good representatives. He said the Big E show is the largest of its type in the country. I could not beleive that many people in New England liked trains. He said 25,000 would come through the doors in the two days.

There were a lot of Lionel dealers there with a lot of old parts. If someone were doing 3 rail O gauge, it was heaven. There were tons of RTR cars, tons of motive power in HO and in N. Major players had booths. Walthers, Kadee, Broadway Limited. Tony's had two guys doing nothing but soldering in DCC chips for engines while people waited in line. All at full retail for the most part, so pricey. There were a number of booths selling used rolling stock in HO and Lionel and there were very nice deals to be had that way. Really very little in Scratch building materials though. I looked in vain for a supplier of Aluminum and brass stock from KS industries and never could find them, The show directory did not break down the vendors in any meaningful way and that made it really difficult to find specific things.

But all in all, It was worth the 400 miles roundtrip! It would have been easy to stay the two days but my horses get really pissy when they don't eat. Not a good thing. They just up and leave.

Pete VanderLaan

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back a while ago too. Compared to previous years that I attended I'd say this was packed solid. I try to be a bit selective at this and other large shows in order to save a little time. Since I am in HO I generally pass right by the vendors that are exclusively in other scales and tinplate collector items. Even at that I spent 6 hours roaming through all 4 buildings. Picked up mostly some scenery items and scenery detail stuff and a few back issues of the New Haven Shoreliner. Went by the Iwata booth and as Pete says there were a bunch of folks intently weathering freight cars however the guy running the demo had a name tag other than Alan and he was the only one there at the time.

Got to talk with a few of the great people at Woodland Scenics about the fire. They related that it was confined to 1 building which is actually their lunch room and some other non productive use. The gal that was the cashier at the show said the new lunch room opened yesterday but they were already here for the show so didn't get to participate in the "grand opening".

All in all a great show and great weather. After we left, my wife and I stopped for a late lunch at our favorite spot in West Springfield. Its one of the areas best kept secrets and you can drive right by it if you don't know it is there.

I had a great time, spent all my cash, managed (barely) to avoid also heating up the credit card and still came home with a bunch of stuff. I managed to meet Alan just as the place was closing for the day. Even though they were packing up he generously took the time to answer a few of my noob questions.

Thanks Alan!

Too late. Dave, Mike and I bought everything.

Yes we did. There is a big freight yard right alongside Memorial Drvie about 1/3 mile from the Big E. We hired an intermodal to haul all our stuff home. When we left those buildings looked like a sucked out lemon. :D

I went Saturday. First time in almost 9 years. Four buildings is A LOT of trains. It was nice to see so many people still interestd in the hobby.

I did not find the twos things I went for. Decals for a NS GP38 and a BNSF B40-8W. So I pickd up a few Providence And Worcester Items. You don't see alot of that so I got what I could. A window decal, a ppatch and a set of 4 passenger cars painted in P&W livery. I was excited to see them and bought them immediatly. I wish I didn't. I do not know very much about the passenger cars, so when I got home I started to do a little research. Thanks to rrpicturesarchives.net and the yahoo group I belong to, I found these cars are NOTHING like the real thing. The wrong era cars, the "brown" is almost black and does not match anything I have. One of the cars in real life in an observation (I think) and has a rounded end to it. the model of this car I bought has an open balcony. Needless to say I was quite disappointed. I have emailed the guy I bought them from. At first I did not ask for a refund might I may if he emails me back. He is in the same state I am and about a 90minute drive.

Hi Guys!

I got back last night. The trip back & forth reminded me of how much I hate air travel! Excellent show though! A first class bunch of folks run that one! It was my first trip out there, but will not be my last, so you guys who missed me this time can catch me next time. :D I was pretty busy with the classes almost the whole time. I got to meet Dave, but unfortunately nobody else from here :( Maybe next year. I actually got to see very little of the show itself. I had about an hour each morning to walk the place. I bought one locomotive...the Bowser SP AS-616 from a dealer I know in IL! Didn't have time to do much more shopping. I also met Doug Foscale (Fos Scale Models) and Brian and Jill Bollinger (BEST Trains) both great craftsman kit companies and nice folks. Business was great. Now I need maybe another day to recover! Back at my regular job today where the pace isn't quite so hectic! They are having a mild winter up there in Springfield. It felt like spring!

Hi Guys!

I got back last night. The trip back & forth reminded me of how much I hate air travel! Excellent show though! A first class bunch of folks run that one! It was my first trip out there, but will not be my last, so you guys who missed me this time can catch me next time. :D I was pretty busy with the classes almost the whole time. I got to meet Dave, but unfortunately nobody else from here :( Maybe next year. I actually got to see very little of the show itself. I had about an hour each morning to walk the place. I bought one locomotive...the Bowser SP AS-616 from a dealer I know in IL! Didn't have time to do much more shopping. I also met Doug Foscale (Fos Scale Models) and Brian and Jill Bollinger (BEST Trains) both great craftsman kit companies and nice folks. Business was great. Now I need maybe another day to recover! Back at my regular job today where the pace isn't quite so hectic! They are having a mild winter up there in Springfield. It felt like spring!
yea i live on the coast of new hampshire, & we have snow but u drive 20 miles inland & no snow at all not even a trace lol

I did not get to meet Alan (Espee) but I did get a bunch of really subtle weathering paints from the Iwata booth. They had really nice stuff! Pete VanderLaan

Sorry I missed you Pete! If you have any questions about those paints, let me know. You'll like them. I recommend practicing first on some styrene or paper until you get used to how they apply. It's easy to spray too much, with some of the colors becasue as you say, they are very subtle! The bottles with black tops are transparent, which means they are about half way between full strength paint and a wash. They will go over each other nicely and you can blend or shade very well with them. The trick is to apply them slowly. If your model starts to look really wet, slow down. PM me if you need to. All part of our friendly service! :D:D

I was at the show. I wasn't very impressed though. It seems to have been steadily going downhill over the years.

I mean, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the stuff being sold. People were selling all their old stuff such as Varney, AHM, Tyco, etc. Of the vendors that did have newer releases, they were priced close to, at, and some were OVER MSRP!

I sure have to agree on the prices. Since I rarely see LHS anymore, it was a welcome sight for me. I could not find the one thing I was looking for which really surprised me, someone selling K&S aluminum and brass tubing, but I found more than enough other stuff to be very happy. Ther were a number of excellent tool booths. I did not bring home a single car, engine or switch. It was all tiny tools, paint ( Thanks Alan) and building supplies. Any kits, or cars or whatever were a good deal higher on price than online- a good deal higher.

The Amherst society is sure to be commended though. To pull this together every year, in a depression is no easy trick. I met some really nice people from that group. They put all the profits into historical restoration in New England for trains.

Back