Back at it again with layout

Bristolman2012

Sick for a long time , but feeling better now so decided to work on a layout again . Lowered my table 5x10 ft 10 inches and added foam . Trying to come up with a simple layout running 2 trains . I have 1 inch foam so I can lay a track at a higher level to get away from flat look , so I need to create up / down for 1 inch . asking for ideas other than woodland risers or is that my best option ?
mike

Good to hear you’re feeling better!
So what scale are you going with?
Why not woodland risers, also curious as your next option is likely cutting the foam and bending it upwards which also works.

I’m totally beginner at this is one of the reasons and this is only my second layout . I just don’t want to spend money on something I may not use . Already have more in this new hobby than I expected to get started . What I started doing is laying track on top of the table not connected , then I’ll start putting in raised areas so I can accommodate track changes . Trying small steps as I’m not talented enough for the giant ones . I’ll try the bend up foam idea . put foam in and wire track and try engine up those . Thank you for idea .
mike

Do you have some basic power tools (jigsaw, circular saw)?

You could use the old tried and true cookie cutter sub roadbed. You would have to do a cost comparison of the needed materials (plywood, screws, etc.) VS the cost of the WS risers to see what's the better value.

I woodwork as a hobby and money spent on that one is through the roof and have all needed items for cutting and sawing wood . I thought about that one and once again if you don’t like or mess up ? Money down the drain and to me this is for the experts . Other thing forgot to mention 80 years old so would like to see something running . Going from flat to some raised sections I can enjoy with my grandson . ( he already crashed a few things playing with train)
mike

I woodwork as a hobby and money spent on that one is through the roof and have all needed items for cutting and sawing wood . I thought about that one and once again if you don’t like or mess up ? Money down the drain and to me this is for the experts . Other thing forgot to mention 80 years old so would like to see something running . Going from flat to some raised sections I can enjoy with my grandson . ( he already crashed a few things playing with train)
mike
Then maybe WS risers are your best bet. They can be installed with silicon caulk. If you don't like the setup, or install them wrong. You can take them back up with a putty knife, and they can be reused. I have WS risers that have been used on several layouts thru the years.

Sick for a long time , but feeling better now so decided to work on a layout again . Lowered my table 5x10 ft 10 inches and added foam . Trying to come up with a simple layout running 2 trains . I have 1 inch foam so I can lay a track at a higher level to get away from flat look , so I need to create up / down for 1 inch . asking for ideas other than woodland risers or is that my best option ?
mike
Instead of raising and lowering the trackage, why not try raising and lowering the scenery? You'd be surprised at what a difference that hills, mountains, tunnels, rivers, creeks, and gullies make on otherwise level trackage.

After looking at them cost is not too bad , only thing I was unsure of it shows incline /decline kit for 1 inch was a 4 % grade ?
mike
I would stay in the 2% range for grade. A 4% is considered awfully steep.

What are your plans. Just elevation change for interest, or a layout is an over/under?

This is a set that keeps you in the 2% range and gives you 2" of rise.

Instead of raising and lowering the trackage, why not try raising and lowering the scenery? You'd be surprised at what a difference that hills, mountains, tunnels, rivers, creeks, and gullies make on otherwise level trackage.
Thats a good point. I guess we need more info on what the layout plan is. If he doesn't want an over/under than your method will work perfectly well too.

I appreciate all who look at this and comment . Some things I should have said . table 5 x10 ft doing Ho train layout . As I said I’m looking for suggestion / ideas for a 2 train running layout . All code 100 . I have atlas snap switches that work (tested them ) . The only other thing I’m going to do when I look at the backside of layout the far outside track raised 1 inch and as trains move to front side the far inside loop will be raised . Remember beginner at this other than flat layout running first time ( atlas layout with needed track and switches and connector type , for dummies ) . I do want to put switches in so I can move trains from one track to another . I’m really hoping someone take the time to give me some ideas for what Im trying to do . I have a few layout books but nothing tripped my trigger .
mike

after long and hard thinking especially after taking atlas code 100 layout apart , i am jumping ship and going to do kato unitrack . as i said at 80 going to get layout up and running . still plan on some elevated sections and going to do a modified version of wgh plan 6 kato ho .the online web page for kato layout doesnt do a very sharp image to copy . if anyone has a sharp image of that layout i would appreciate if posted so i can make a better copy . hope to have track i need by end of the month .

I appreciate all who look at this and comment . Some things I should have said . table 5 x10 ft doing Ho train layout . As I said I’m looking for suggestion / ideas for a 2 train running layout . All code 100 . I have atlas snap switches that work (tested them ) . The only other thing I’m going to do when I look at the backside of layout the far outside track raised 1 inch and as trains move to front side the far inside loop will be raised . Remember beginner at this other than flat layout running first time ( atlas layout with needed track and switches and connector type , for dummies ) . I do want to put switches in so I can move trains from one track to another . I’m really hoping someone take the time to give me some ideas for what Im trying to do . I have a few layout books but nothing tripped my trigger .
mike
Here's my HO layout 5'x10'. It's a folded figure 8 with all the track at the same elevation. Code 100 flex track.
DSC00342.JPG
DSC00354.JPG
DSC00343.JPG
DSC00344.JPG

Back