Back after many years, first question.

Bill, you posted that the layout is 39" x 11'. Earlier you posted that you had a 15' wall, so I assume that you are centering the 11' on that wall. All good so far. If you are going 39" for the full length, you will have difficulty reaching the back, 30"-32" is preferable. If you can make the layout resemble a shallow "U", with the center 4' a bit narrower, say 32", while leaving the ends at 39" x 39", you should have no problem accessing everything. You may already have this in mind, but your posts are not specific on it. Almost all four axle and some six axle diesels will negotiate 18" curves, but you may have to convert the six-axle ones to a longer shank coupler. Skip 15" unless you cannot avoid it on industrial sidings.
Others have already stated what my thoughts on the Snap Switches are. I cannot comment on a T-1 as I have no experience with steamers. I do DC, but what Iron Horseman posted regarding reverse loops is basically what I have read over the years. Good Luck going forward.

Willie

Thanks for the info. To be specfic the table was built in three section to get it upstairs in the loft room. Two 4' X 39" and One 2' X 3' center section. The center section will be a yard based on a plan from MR How to build small railroads. Its a 1' X 6' layout and my idea is to have a turnaround track runnibg thru it.
Of course now that I have it all finished and painted I want to widen it a bit. No big problem to add a few inches to the depth. But I will have to get two more sheets of foam and redo the top. I'm tall and can reach pretty far and the layout is on wheels so if I have to I can pull it away fromm the wall.
I'll try to post some pics later.
The T1 idea is gone and I'm looking at getting something like an S2 for the yard and some other 4 axle for the mainline. Still deciding on switches.

Back