Bachrus Roller Stand for Big Boy?

CbrandonB

Hi all,

I was thinking about purchasing the Bachrus roller stand set (with plans of using it with the DCC speedometer to speedmatch) and I was wondering if 4 rollers and the stirrups were enough for a Big Boy or other articulated? Do I need to get a set of rollers for each pair of drivers? Or will 2 rollers for reach set suffice?

Thanks,

Brandon

I think you would be okay with 4 rollers. Place one on the first and last driver of the first articulated section and the first and last driver of the second articulated section. The front and trailing trucks don't need to be on stands unless you really want them to be.

The speedometer will act as a 5th set of rollers. I currently have the bachrus speedometer you speak of and it functions quite well.

While I haven't speed matched any steam locomotives yet I have done a number of 6 axle diesel locos. Each of those I simply put the first and last axle of each truck on the rollers. The center axle doesn't get a roller underneath it. I doesn't really seem to make a difference when I speed match my locomotives.

The biggest thing that does make a difference when speed matching is to make sure your locos are well lubricated and warmed up before speed curving them. If you don't it will throw off your speed curves.

Awesome! Thank you for the reply. I was thinking it should be fine with two under each set, but thought I would ask. Some of my brass may have sprung drivers, which may cause issues, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when and if I get there. :)

I'm also glad to hear you've had a good experience with the speedometer. It seems to be a great way to speedmatch without taking up a lot of room.

Brandon

It's funny you ask... I ordered mine today from TrainTekLLC.com, I think it was. I believe it was about $79 for a set of rollers and a thing to put the tender of steers on. I can't remember what they call it. I grabbed their DCC Speedometer to go with them, too.

Brandon

Back