Bachmann Spectrum vs Athearn locos

dekker

I have to say that I have several of both and I have to say that I am more impressed with the Spectrums then the Athearns. All units are new and new releases and by far the Spectrums run smoother, much quieter, and run fine at momemtum power. I will say that the Athearns are a little better in some detail but as my trains roll down the track I can't see ALL the detail but I can tell which engines run smoother. Not to mention it seems that, to me, Athearn engines seem to find every little spot in my track where there may be a bit of dirty track as they slow down here and there and the cab lights flicker. Not the Spectrums. Nice and smooth. I know that there are many quality levels but for me I think that between Athearn and Spectrum I will go Spectrum. 8 months ago when I got back into mrr(after 15 years away) I would never even think about buying Bachmann but alot has changed. What do you think about Athearn vs Spectrum? I would put my Spectrums as far as smooth running up there with my Atlas engines.I model modern day. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
What version of Athearn are you comparing? the blue box or kit version? the rtr series? or the Genesis?
Considering Spectrum is Bachmans top of the line, would you compare Athearns against it also?
Genesis vs Spectrum. Hmm, no comparison in my book there, Genesis. The spectrum has a comparable amount of details there, but not as modern as Athearns offerings. Considering your modeling modern, what is the most modern piece of equipment available from Bachmann? the C40-8W? Doesnt Athearn put out C44-9W's in the blue box or rtr series? or SD70/75/M/I/MAC's in the Genesis line?
Just asking which version of Athearn are you comparing to Bachmann's top of the line.
You can't sit here and compare a TYCO against a BRASS model. Look at Bachman's low entry products and price and compare it in value against Athearns low end. Then go to the high end, look at the MSRP of them, and compare the products. I suggested MSRP, because everyone can say, oh I got this off trainbay for only $40, and it blows that c44 away.
But, anyway, I'm glad you are happy with your purchases and haven't run into the lemons that are available in every brand name out there.
The most important thing is "Have fun."

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is that the Bachmann Spectrum diesels run better than the Athearn RTR diesels because the the Athearn RTR's are basically just older BB locos with a little added detail. The mechanism is getting long in the tooth, as the the match up with a Bachman Spectrum will show.

As has been stated, once you start getting into the Genesis line, Athearn is the clear winner. Better details, better running, and more prototypically accurate. Of course, you pay the price for an Athearn Genesis compared to a Bachmann Spectrum so I would expect more from the Athearn. The Bachmann Spectrum line occupies kind of a unique niche, better details (and often includes DCC) and better running compared to both the Athearn RTR and Atlas Trainman line. The Bachmann's are hard to beat for the price.

spectrum

I have 2 Genesis sd60m's,they run great and detail is top notch but as I said in my post, when my trains are rolling, accute detail is not my major concern. When I say modern day I mean within the the past decade, not last week. I guess I must have bought two bad Genesis locos and bought several good Spectrums along with several good Atlas locos, since they seem to out perform the Genesis locos. Not on detail but on smooth operation. I will say this, ALL of them are better then Tyco.

I've got two Spectrum SD45's that are in paint right now. One is DCC and the other is DCC ready. I bought them both for $40. I've been very happy so far with the detail and running qualities. These two are my first stray from the P2K lineup and I haven't been disappointed.

Back