Bachmann Spectrum SD-45

macjet

So, I just received my first deviation from the Proto 2000 lineup. I won the above loco on ebay for $29. Is this loco a piece of crap or is it a descent runner? The shell isn't too bad, just wondering how it's going to run.

Thanks.

If it's a Bachman Spectrum version it's a good deal. If it's a Standard Bachman it'll probably be toy store quality but at the right price.

It's a Spectrum. I just want to avoid putting all the time, effort, and money into a custom paint job and then find out it runs like a Dodge.;)

I have to say that mine are somewhere in the middle......not crap, but not quite Atlas or Kato either. I'd never pay retail for one, but I just got done painting 3 for MRL. MRL runs a bunch of them and Kato keeps not doing a new run, so what are you gonna do? I didn't pay over $25 for any of my 3, at that price they're worth the effort. The detail parts and basic shell are nice quality, and the chassis is a decent runner...in fact my 3 are the most closely matched engines I've ever seen. BUT......I had to spend a lot of time getting the wheels in gauge so the engines wouldn't keep jumping the track. The shell is missing a duct along the walkway. And the biggy is I've never seen one that didn't come with Rapidos. MTL 1015's are supposed to fit, but on mine, the truck hits on the coupler box causing all kinds of problems. I tried trimming/grinding the coupler box, but couldn't remove enough material to solve the problem without destroying the coupler. My final solution was to remove all the original mount (behind the pilot) fill the area with epoxy and drill a new screw hole for the coupler (a 1015) to move the coupler away from the truck. It sounds worse than it was.....probably took 30 minutes per engine to do the entire conversion (not counting the overnight time for the epoxy to set up). I'm now very pleased with them...they make a great helper set for my layout. They also match up speed-wise with my new Intermountain SD45-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming this is an N scale engine, a Rapido coupler is a generic name for a version of coupler similar the HO horn hook coupler. Rapido's were very common on most N scale equipment until recently. You can find more information at http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm. I don't know if Macjet is asking about an N or HO scale version, since Bachmann made both. The HO scale Spectrums's all come with knuckle couplers. The N scale versions did all come with the oversize Rapido couplers so coupler changeout could be a real issue, as Dave pointed out.

It's a Spectrum. I just want to avoid putting all the time, effort, and money into a custom paint job and then find out it runs like a Dodge.;)

I've been driving Dodges for over 40 years and I have yet to have a problem with the way they run there is a 1988 Dodge Van in my driveway right now with over 250,000 miles on it and it gets driven over 40 miles a day. I have an undecorated Bachmann Spectrum SD-45 for sale on Ebay right now for 30 bucks buy it now.

Spectrum Diesels come in two flavors. The first flavor is the ones that had the split frames and are not DCC-ready/capable. These came out 5-6(?) years ago, and were of somewhat uneven reliability. Some will run and run and run with no problems. Others will run for a bit, then start squealing at the bearings. Nothing you can do to fix it. You could lube it, and it'd be quiet for about a lap or two, then go right back to squealing.

The other flavor are the ones that are more recent; say within the last year or two. I have not heard of any squealing problems with these. I think some are DCC-ready.

As far as Dodges are concerned, every brand has their fans and critics. One person will ream a brand until their dying day, and there will be a person right next to him swearing by them every step of the way. So, I don't put that much stock in it all.....

:D

Kennedy

Randy, does the Spectrum SD45 sit lower than the Athearn SDs? That's the one thing I can't stand about my two RPP SD45s on the Athearn frames:(

Yes, it sits down nice. I don't have a problem with the Spectrum SD-45s, but I'm not as picky as some....comes from being a sappy old farmboy. lol

I took it out tonight finally and put in on a DC test track. It seems to run great. It is a later model, DCC ready, and single piece frame.

However, when put back to back with a P2K SD60 the Bachmann seem to be HO scale x5%. It sits higher at the frame and hood. The trucks seems to match but everything else is taller. Is this a Bachmann thing?

~2 year bump~

These came out 5-6(?) years ago, and were of somewhat uneven reliability. Some will run and run and run with no problems. Others will run for a bit, then start squealing at the bearings. Nothing you can do to fix it. You could lube it, and it'd be quiet for about a lap or two, then go right back to squealing.

I was sifting though trying to find out why so many people say the spectrums are junk to only see others just saying they are junk. So far this is the only spelled out complaint about them, but is there more problems, besides the split gears I hear about every now and then?

I have two of them right now, one is the older split frame and the other is a newer one (dcc ready) and they are both good runners.

Spectrum Diesels come in two flavors. The first flavor is the ones that had the split frames and are not DCC-ready/capable.

Now I've seen a DCC Install for these split frames and heard they work, here's the link http://www.ppdnmra.com/decoder-inst.pdf

Most of them make noise when they run, and the way the handrails are attached are similar to the Athearn blueboxes. The handrails are always attached to the pilot, never to the walkway as the prototype is.

They also do not have flywheels. Instead, Bachmann uses a heavy worm gear that acts like a flywheel that is about half as efficient as an actual flywheel.

Most of them make noise when they run, and the way the handrails are attached are similar to the Athearn blueboxes. The handrails are always attached to the pilot, never to the walkway as the prototype is.

Is the noise pinpointed to a particular area?

I noticed the handrails are in the wrong position, but I've just looked at my atlas and their not accurate either, they are closer in appearance to the prototype but still not correct.

They also do not have flywheels. Instead, Bachmann uses a heavy worm gear that acts like a flywheel that is about half as efficient as an actual flywheel.
It looks as though the the earlier generation spectrums do have the flywheels next to the motor, I haven't checked the newer ones though

The noise comes from the contact between the worm gear and the gear tower. The spinning worm gear causes the entire truck to vibrate which creates a buzzing noise.

Back