Bachmann S4 shell removal procedure question

siderod

Although I have never owned a Bachmann locomotive before I thought it was time to give one a try with all the good publicity they have been getting. Besides I've been dying to get an S4 in ATSF Zebra stripe.. Well, wouldn't you know I found someone selling both a Zebra with sound and without. I would like to lash them together and I don't feel I need sound in both so I'd like to stick a Tsunami non-sound decoder in the silent one. Now I've put quite a few sound decoders in the likes of Athearn Genesis, P2K, Atlas and even BLI but, this is my first go around with Bachmann so I want to make sure I find out ahead of time how to remove the shell from the chassis. Can't seem to find any instruction on the internet nor Bachmann's website. Having examined the underside it doesn't look like there are any hold down screws so I am assuming it is a pry the shell away from the chassis like the Athearn's.

If anybody has done one of these please let me know. I would appreciate it and be forever in your debt.

I think they're a "pry" to get the body off. The reason I say this is I was over at Rexhea's layout last week and one of the other's that were there had a new Bachmann S-4 with sound. Talk about a sweet running little machine.

I think that he had to adjust something inside, or was just showing it to Rex, but he had the body off, in a second, and I don't remember seeing him with a screwdriver in his hand, and then he had it back on very quickly.

Cj, your all over this forum. I swear, I could have stayed in the DCC electronic category and you still would have found this thread, huh.

My guess is your right about the shell prying off of the chassis. I'm a bit gun shy as I once destroyed a shell trying to pry it off when there was more to it than that. Like anything else I guess, once you've done one it's a piece of cake. It's just that first one.....Ah well, time to screw up my courage and go for it.

They really are sweet little runners. Haven't heard anybody bad mouth them that owns one. Needless to say, Bachmann has come a long, long way since the "pancake" motor days.

Appreciate the support.

Cfinn, thanx for that, as I said I don't own one but the friend at Rex's may have had a screwdriver, but as I said, I didn't see him with one.

As cfinn mentioned, it's very easy to get in. Simply remove the two coupler screws and then pull up on the shell. Should come off pretty easily.

Here are the online diagrams. These should have also come with your S4s:

S4 with sound diagram

S4 without sound diagram

Since you have the Santa Fe versions, you might want to replace the exhaust stacks with rectangular stacks. I used K&S brass rectangular tubing (size 5/32 x 5/16) and painted it silver. The original Bachmann stack took some pressure to pop out, but it eventually came out.

Here's mine with modifications (rectangular stack, radio antenna, sun shades, and removed front grille walkway) to look more like the prototype:

santa_fe_alco_s4_by_southwestchief-d5l37id.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to cfinn, cj and Matt for all the input. I have now successfully removed the shell from the chassis and nothing ended up shattered, cracked, chipped, split or stressed...not even me. I have said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on, chock full of knowledgeable and experienced modelers. It is a pleasure to be in your presence gentlemen.

And a special note to Matt for going the extra mile to include the exploded views of both sound and non-sound models. As I scrolled down I must admit the pictorial of your S4 AT&SF Zebra took my breath away. You have done an admirable and justified job on this lovely lady to bring her up to her true prototypical appearance. And love your caboose. I've got to get one of those to compliment my S4.

Well done.

Back