Bachmann Loco Help/Question Spectrum?

I have always run Rivarossi Locomotives. I have bunches of them in various states of repair. I have a 4-8-8-4 and several 2-8-8-2s and 2-10-2s and 2-8-4s and 4-8-2s and 0-8-0s and many other smaller engine too numerous to list.

My layout is 24'x32' and I have flat areas and areas with 2% and 4% grades. When I pick the proper engine and train load I have no problems. I know many of you will be against grades at all. But I am aware of the problems and plan accordingly.

I am satisfied with what I have however I thought it would be nice to have one new engine I could run that I knew would work well when all the others had their bugs. I dont have alot of problems but there is constant lubrication and cleaning to keep them running. I am sure many of you have others you like better. I know them and know how to fix them and have the parts surplus to do so therefore they work for me.

On to my help question. I recently bought on ebay a new bachmann locomotive.
Item no 50949 "HO" 2-8-4 berkshire steam loco with tender DCC.

It is a nice engine and I paid about a third of retail. If nothing else it looks good and I am happy that it could take a siding and add to the look of the layout.

My problem is that it wont do a grade alone as it has no driver bands for traction. All of my cars are weighted to NMRA standards and it wont pull more that about 5 or 6 on a flat level straight track.

Any suggestions on a possible fix? Is there a way to do driver bands?

Does a Spectrum have driver bands?

Any help or comments greatly appreciated.

I have never strayed from Rivarossi for my mainline engines. Switchers I have many brands but never pull many cars so not a problem. Any suggestions for what type of newer locos to go with if not Bachmann?

Thanks all, Tom

Traction tires are, to my experience anyway, pretty limited. Is there anywhere you could add weight to the engine? A little extra heft over the axles will go a long way.

5 or 6 cars on a flat surface is a poor showing for any 8 coupled locomotive,that being said the only review I could find (MR reader review)stated 9-12 cars....still very poor rating If you ask me.
And yes most of the Bachmann engines while beautifully detailed and great runners lack this most important feature.
my suggestion to you would be to look into a product that is begining to have a large following called Bullfrog Snot. Its basically a traction tire product that is carefully applied to one or two of the drive wheels on your locomotive with a toothpick and after a 12 hr curing period should double or triple the tracktive effort of your loco.

OK Thanks, I will try the weight tonight. I have heard of the BF snot mentioned and will try that. Will check the LHS tomorrow and when that fails will look for an online source.

Ok upon further inspection there was some packing material still in the front pilot truck. Not sure which one of us missed that in the unpacking. Once removed we can pull 10 weighted cars on a 2% grade with a caboose. I am sure with some weight, which it needs in the engine and tender as well since it seems light and derails, we will be in good shape.

Off to find some frog snot so maybe I can increase that a bit.

Part of this is duh me. Hard to see black foam packing stuffed up under a pilot truck.

Now that you've found the problem and solution, if you find your railroad short of motive power in the future, maybe you can look into the 2-8-0 that Bachmann/Spectrum has sold in the recent past. they do have traction tires, and the two I had would each pull a 20 car train unassisted.

OK update. Now that the locomotive is in proper condition. I have added one ounce of weight to the front of the tender. I still have to add some to the Loco but it does well.
I cleaned the wheels and track with goo gone and wiped it down with coffee filters and alcohol.

We can now pull 16 NMRA weighted boxcars up a 2% grade. This is very satisfactory to me!!!!

Now we are off to order "frog snot" nobody has it locally.

Do all spectrums have traction tires? Anyone know a place to find that info? I either didnt see it or didnt look close enough.

Thanks all, Tom

I had a similar issue with packing foam over the pilot truck of my paragon 2 Y6B. It would de-rail constantly until the foam was found and removed. As far as the bullfrog snot, there have been some good reviews on it. Read the application guide well. If I remember right they suggest having the loco upside down and applying the stuff while the wheels are spinning.
Also make sure the loco didn't come with traction tires. That would make life a bit easier.

To the best of my knowledge the new Bachmann Spectrum line does not use traction tires. On the other hand the new N&W Y6B from Broadway Limited does and combined with a diecast boiler will pull the ties up behind itself....caution though as Traction Tires tend to refuse to let the drivers slip when absolutely needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back