Bachmann DCC equipped GP-7

railfan

junk collector
I'm thinking about giving the go ahead to my procurement division to pull the trigger on one of these beauties sometime in the potential near future.....hee ha! :)

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-GP-7-p/bac-62453.htm

I wonder if they are dual flywheel all wheel drive.....because I mean how do make a quality DCC equipped unit and it can be sold for $59.99? Anybody have knowledge of these? I like 'em. They have three decent reviews on M.B.Klein.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one. It's the Santa Fe Zebra striped version. Runs great, good puller, and acceptable detail. With some work it can be brought to Genesis detail levels. Go for it. Nice model.

I got 4 GP9's in pre-Chessie B&O (also from MB Klein) and I'm pretty pleased with them. Still need to install grab irons but I'll get around to that eventually...

Yes, absolutely buy one or several if you can. I have two a B&O and a Chessie and they are nicer than the Atlas geeps(which I also have). Down side is that the Lenz decoder they use is VERY basic and other than programming address and starting voltage that's about it as far as programming is concerned. I would also say they growl a little bit at low speed but at medium to fast they are smooth and quiet.

I almost forgot that my only gripe with the Chessie unit is that the Chess "C" is on the wrong part of the engine. I have Jerry Doyle's excellent book about Chessie System locomotives and he states that the B&O put the Chess "C" on the long nose because that's how the B&O ran them; long nose forward. I changed the normal direction of travel with mine to correct for this but I couldn't do anything about the incorrect graphic. It is interesting to note that the Atlas "geeps" are prototypically correct with the Chess "C" on the long nose/hood for B&O loco's.

im looking at some now too! For that price you could get 3 in the place of 1 kato with an encoder installed!

Down side is that the Lenz decoder they use is VERY basic and other than programming address and starting voltage that's about it as far as programming is concerned. I would also say they growl a little bit at low speed but at medium to fast they are smooth and quiet.
Then it sounds like you can't speed match them to other engines I guess. Even so they seem worth it.

Mike

Then it sounds like you can't speed match them to other engines I guess. Even so they seem worth it.

Mike

I couldn't agree more. For the cost you can't beat it that's why I have 3 of the new Bachmann DCC equipped engines. They are much much better than what they have had in the past. In fact they are down right competitive now in my opinion. The RS-2 is superb in detail as well you should check them out. I have one in Western Maryland livery.

im looking at some now too! For that price you could get 3 in the place of 1 kato with an encoder installed!

That's true if your buying the Kodo Custom Shop models with the TCS decoder installed. However, I buy the Kato engines without from MBK and they are usually 59-69 bucks in DC depending on model. Then I put my own Digitrax decoder in for about 25-26 bucks which puts them much closer in my opinion.

Today I received my order of two Bachmann DCC equipped union pacific GP7's. Bought them from M.B. Klein for $59.99 each plus shipping. Their order to ship time was not bad considering the holiday. Placed the order about 1 am thursday early thanksgiving morning. They shipped out saturday and arrived today.

They look fantastic! The detail looks on par with atlas and kato's less expensive lines. One thing I noticed in the included exploded view parts diagram.......I do not see the normal large brass flywheels in the diagram. There are some drive shafts with universal type swivel joints coming off both ends of the motor.....and then the normal worm gears at the ends of these driveshafts. Maybe the driveshafts act as flywheels? Maybe the flywheels are inside the motor? No worries! :)

Everyone I talk to who owns these.....likes them. I can't run them because......although I've aquired a barely used prodigy express DCC system......I'm not yet smart enough to figure it out.....:eek:.....LOL! Well, I'll learn how soon enough....:p...and they're supposed to work on DC too.

Mike

Back