Bachmann crossing gate help

I have 2 sets of bachmann dual crossing gates with flashing lights and bell. I have wired it the accessory side 16v ac of my MRC Throttlepack. It seems to run very fast and the lights flash too rapidly. What is the best way to slow this down. If anyone could give me some ideas it would be appreciated. Everything is wired to a circuit board underneath and there is a single pair of wires to the transformer. The bell is operated by a motor with a cam that rings the bell. Thanks in advance for you help.

If your power pack is actually putting out 16 volts AC then it's probably more voltage than the crossing gate was meant to run on. I'm assuming this is the one that has the track that runs through some stryrofoam that's built up with a road to the crossing. The easiest way to solve the problem is pick up a cheap toy train transformer. You can often get these for $5 or less at swap meets or e-bay. Wire the crossing gates to the 12 volt variable side and then use the rheostat to provide only enough voltage do that the bell rings at the best volume and the lights flash at the best speed.

The other option is to put a resistor in line with your current wires but you really need a meter to determine the voltage at the crossing gates and then calculate about how much you need to drop the voltage to slow things down. It will really be a guess but you can get a pack of resistors for 250 to about 1000 ohms and try each one to see which gives the best results.

The thing to remember is this crossing gate/bell is really a toy train accessory and Bachmann didn't put a lot of money into the control system. Sometimes they just won't look very prototypical no matter what you do.

You are right Jim thanks. I know it is more toy like but the kids that come over seem to be fasinated by things like that. I plan on blending the scenery in and covering most of the original. The bell is not the best but i poured some elmers in it and let it dry and the sound is better.

The transformer is putting out 15.8 and I tried one of the cheapies that puts out 12 and it is still to fast.

Also tried on the DC side using the throttle and the motor noise is worse and the lights are too dim.

Am going to try to seperate the circuits and run the motor seperate with the resistor idea like you suggested.

This is the better double gate deal with the crossing shack. Not to bad and I can make it work and look good I think. I have made the gates manual because the new proto trucks I put on my cars dont have flanges deep enough to trigger the gates. I know it is probably all more time involved than it is worth. I think the mechanical part to make it work from the control panel will be fun. But what the heck I could use the electrical lesson. Am taking pictures as I go to post here if it all works in case anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if trying the rheostat thing first wouldn't be better. I say that because if the system is always going to be too fast, the rheostat can prove that without you going through all the modification work. What I'm saying is that if as soon as you crack the rheostat open, everything is going like mad, then I don't think resistors will help.

Kennedy

I tried it on dc with a small atlas transformer and the motor noise is awful and when you get the bell to a reasonable speed the lights are too dim.

If I run it on the 16 v ac and use a dimmer switch like you would use on a light in the house will that work? or rather wont hurt to try?

It won't hurt to try although I'm not sure you're using enough amps to make a normal 120 volt dimmer switch work. iI you can get the bell to a reasonable speed without too much motor noise, how about replacing the lights? I'm assuming they are 14-16 volts lights. Radio Shack carries some small 10 volt bulbs that should fit fine and be brighter on the lower voltage.

Back