Bachmann baby trainmaster question

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Looking to purchase a bachmann baby trainmaster and have a question. Is this model powered similar to the GE 44 tonner, which has(on the one I own anyway) an electric motor powering each truck?
Any other thoughts on this run of locos? I am not impressed whatsoever with my GE 44 tonner, so just trying to gauge what other folks have seen.

Thanks for any comments,
Jason

It has a single motor with 2 flywheels to power the truck. It is still split frame design. I have two of them i run on DC. They run fine with no problems. If you go to the Bachmann site click on parts/service and you can bring up a PFD showing how they are built.
Not an Atlas or Kato but for under $30.00 each not bad.

Bob

I have two that run great on DC with a surprising ability to pull long trains. I am in the process of converting them both to DCC using the new Quantum Titan (soon as available), if you need any help in that direction.

Jason if you pick up a later version of the 44 tonner in the Bachmann Spectrum series it has the more conventional 1 motor and shaft driven geared trucks. You'll see a BIG difference. I have 2 of them and a 70 tonner with the same drive and absolutely no complaints on any of them. I run only DC but have run the 70 tonner on a friends DCC layout and it runs fine with nothing more than him setting the throttle to call up the default CV3 for ID on the engine. I also have a FM baby T-M from them with same results the others have stated.

Thanks for the responses! I did look up the specs on the bachmann website, which answered the gear/motor question. Would these be a step up from athearn BB locos? It sounds like these are decent locos, might have to buy two!

Would these be a step up from athearn BB locos? It sounds like these are decent locos, might have to buy two!
Another newbie to model railroad forum terminology question. What does the "BB" stand for?

I'm kind of happy that I actually have a bachmann baby trainmaster, in CP maroon & gray, but it's storage :( . If I recall correctly, it ran quite smooth and had descent pulling power. Only ran in DC though, no decoder installed yet.

Would these be a step up from athearn BB locos? It sounds like these are decent locos, might have to buy two!

In some areas they are. They have see through screens over the radiator area on the hood with fans visible below. They have wire coupler lift bars. As far as molded on detail of the bodies I'd call it the same. Performance is about equal to the Athearn BB. Mine is definitely quieter than most of my older BB locos but certainly not as quiet as an Atlas or a Kato. For the money I'd call them quite good. Bachmann has come a long way in filling a need in the lower price engine market. Atlas Trainman is another really good line at under $100 retail for good looking and excellent running if you don't mind a slight lack of details like wire grabs. Not everybody wants or can afford $250 - $300 super detailed diesel engines.

In some areas they are. They have see through screens over the radiator area on the hood with fans visible below. They have wire coupler lift bars. As far as molded on detail of the bodies I'd call it the same. Performance is about equal to the Athearn BB. Mine is definitely quieter than most of my older BB locos but certainly not as quiet as an Atlas or a Kato. For the money I'd call them quite good. Bachmann has come a long way in filling a need in the lower price engine market. Atlas Trainman is another really good line at under $100 retail for good looking and excellent running if you don't mind a slight lack of details like wire grabs. Not everybody wants or can afford $250 - $300 super detailed diesel engines.

Cool, I'm looking forward to detailing/painting this engine. I bought an undecorated one on ebay for $26 + ~$9 shipping, not bad I guess(guy still has one for sale...). I have quite a few athearns and there is quite a variety of performance there, but for the price they are nice. I cannot afford, or more specifically, the wife would kill me if I dropped $250 on an engine, so just trying to upgrade the loco roster on the cheap! I think part of the fun is detailing the locos, so the ones with less detail are in a way better!
I do have an atlas trainman loco and it is very nice for the price as well.

Back