B units can some run alone

NYC_George

B units they run alone

B units can some run alone? I was only on one during my time on the railroad, an E7. I was holstering and they called and wanted it moved. It was the only one I've ever seen at North White Plains so when I climbed on the unit I wonder if it could even be moved alone. I found it had a very small throttle and engine brake lever, I guess at both ends. What I don't remember was if I was looking out the door window or a small window above the control stand while moving the unit. It was around 1970 a long time to forget all the details. I'm going to guess I looked out the door window because none of the models of the engine show anything else. That was and EMD E7 these other B units I guess they have to be towed if one needs to be moved or they also have a control stand somewhere on the engine?

Another window?

To tell you the truth Josh I thought there was a small window above the control stand on the unit but I'm not sure. It would make sense to have one there rather then straining your neck to look out the door window. Does anyone have a photo showing this on an E7B.

NYC_George

I haven't seen an E B unit moved with hostler controls but it was very common to see this with both Santa Fe and SP units in LA in the late 60's and 70's. The SP units had a small control stand and the rear porthole opened and the hostler looked out the porthole much like a steam locomotive engineer. There was even a small horn and a back-up light that could shown as white or red. I saw these being moved around Taylor Yard almost every time I went there as trains were being made up or broken down. I assume E units must have had the same arrangement.

Your older than I thought Jim. Your right about the horn and light on these units they had to be there. At least when I was there if the hostler moved a none powered unit with a powered unit he got 4 hours overtime. A union agreement. The railroad agreed because if they didn't a full crew would have been called to make the move. I was wondering about the new slugs and B units not being able to be moved alone. I wonder if the hostler still gets the 4 hours overtime?

NYC_George

George,
I'll be 62 is a couple of weeks so I've been around a while. I moved to LA from Cleveland in 1966 so I was able to see a lot of the glory days of the SP, UP, and AT&SF. I was even able to spend a few nights in the Descanso with Chard Walker at Summit in Cajon Pass. The Descanso and Chard are now both gone and driving the same routes along the tracks up the Pass that I did so many times will now get you arrested as a potential terrorist. Times change, not always for the better. :(

I think most slugs only get power from an attached prime mover so I don't think they would move on their own. Modern B units like SD60-B I don't know about but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a rudimentary control stand in what would be the normal cab position. They have small windows and I'll bet they are used for hosteling moves. I assume the need to move B units around in the yard hasn't changed from the days I watched them doing it at Taylor Yard.

Back