Automatic freight load / unload

LoudMusic

At the club I'm a member of we run coal, logs, and chip wood in addition to a variety of other things. But those three in particular are visible loads. The coal and logs are live loads that we load manually and unload via automation on the layout. It works pretty well and gives us a little more to play with.

The chip wood loads, on the other hand, are a bit more difficult. Currently the loads are modeled with a styrofoam block inserted into the with sawdust glued on top, or simply painted brown/tan. Some of them slide right out, but most are too snug to move. Even the ones that slip out easily have to be picked up and turned over.

I have an idea as a sort of a throw-back to toy trains where the load is automatically 'loaded' and 'unloaded'. If the load was actually a thin shelf supported by a pivot point at the center of each end (and not supported on the sides) it could be flipped in place. One side would be decorated to appear as chip wood and the other side painted in order to appear empty. Then automate the flip with magnets or something. To take it a step further, use the principles of a mechanical rubber stamper, only upside down. This way the "full" position is physically at the top of the car, and the "empty" position is near the floor. Does anyone know of examples where false loads are somehow disguised in the car to appear empty, preferably in an automated fashion?

Another option would be to use live loads for the chip cars just like we do for coal and logging. But unload them would be difficult. It would probably take a vacuum system. Loading them would take some kind of mechanical force as well, since that area is difficult to reach from an operator's position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Dunno if you've seen it, but this months MRR magazine has details for a loader & unloader for coal - It's a somewhat complex setup involving operator actuated chutes for loading from above and a "hidden" (inside a building) rotary dumper for unloading - The whole car tips out it's load after being spotted.

Pretty cool and could be adapted for wood chips etc - At least for unloading.

Having said that, I do like your idea of just rotating the "load" in the car.....

Cheers,
Ian

Back