August RMC

jackn2mpu

Here we go again.
Just when we all thought Carstens got their act together and RMC was arriving at least in the first couple days of the month of the month on the cover, here it is August 15 and I still haven't gotten my subscription issue. Haven't been out to a train shop or bookstore so I don't know if anybody local has them. The August cover is on RMC's site though so the issue itself has at least been printed.

Am I the only one missing their sub issue? If I knew one way or the other I'd have some idea as to how to pursue things on Monday and with whom.

Picked mine up Aug 6th at the LHS. He said they had just come in that morning. As far as retail distribution goes it sounds like they are back to normal. Don't know if it works the same for mail subscriptions or there is a slow down through the P.O.

I've gotten mine on the 3rd of the month for the last 2 issues. FYI the September issue is already at the printer, and the October issue is just getting the finishing touches now.
The printer is getting their act caught up, all should be normal soon.
If you still don't have your issue yet, give Carstens a call. They're good about working with you.

Thanks all for the info - at least you got yours. I'll give Carstens a call on Monday. Hopefully their offices are okay, what with all the rain and wind we've had in NJ the last few weeks - parts of the state have been flooded pretty bad. At least in the Trenton area we're drying out (knock wood).

I get the ones I want at my local WM & get a 10% discount. Not all WM stores handle RMC.

Update:
Just got off the phone with Carstens. The person I talked to said she had to replace a lot of August issues because of torn covers and otherwise ruined magazines. I asked her when this whole thing might be straightened out and was told that they hope to have normal delivery by the end of this year. Needless to say I wasn't happy about that and politely let her know.

I also let her know that on the model rr forums there's a consensus that it would give a huge boost in goodwill towards Carstens if they would post something about this on their (Carsten's) website. She said she'd pass it further on up the chain.

Asked about why train shops and booksellers get their issues before subscribers and she said that often shops and such get their delivery either via somebody like UPS or they go to a warehouse to pick up their magazines. So apparently there are a bunch of distribution channels and they don't all coincide with delivery dates.

Upshot is I should be getting a replacement mag in a couple of days straight from Carstens in NJ which is cool considering I'm just down-state in Trenton.

I agree that something posted on the website, also in the magazine recoginzing publically the printing / distribution problems and what they are doing to resolve the situation wouldgo a long way in customer relations.

I have emailed them about the situation and got no response.

I agree that something posted on the website, also in the magazine recoginzing publically the printing / distribution problems and what they are doing to resolve the situation wouldgo a long way in customer relations.

I have emailed them about the situation and got no response.
I've emailed them about this before when this started months ago and have gotten no response. If they didn't have such a good magazine compared to Model Railroader I'd dump it in a heartbeat. Granted Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette may well be the finest mag out there, it's not general enough for my modeling interests. I do buy it on the odd occasion I'm in a train shop that carries it.

Hope mine's coming. A friend received his ten days or so ago, and no sign of mine. Their subscription renewal notices are never late though!

Back