ATSF Grand Canyon Limited Question

Yannis

Hi all,

I have been reading some ATSF books lately and did find out that the Grand Canyon Limited coming from Chicago would breakup at Barstow in two parts, westbound for LA and northbound for SF.

I am wondering if the trip from Barstow to Bakersfield (and vice-versa) was done with a separate train (24 North) or if another Bakersfield bound train got these cars (Fast mail or SF chief). The period i am interested is 1964 to 1968.

I understand that up to 1965 the Golden Gate carried the Grand Canyon's cars from Bakersfield up to Richmond. What about after 1965 when the Golden Gate train was stopped? Did the 24 North went from Barstow up to Richmond? Again was it on its own or did it got connected to SF Chief or Fast Mail Express...

Many thanks for your replies and time in advance.

PS. I suppose based on what i have read about Grand Canyon Limited consists (before being split at Barstow), they do seem like a nice candidate for a pike-sized train (ie 5-10 cars) (others i am considering are San Diegan and Golden Gate),and especially for the sections between Barstow-LA and Barstow-Bakersfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie, thanks for mentioning this site i have already went through it while trying to figure out my questions. According to this site the Bakersfield-Barstow did stop in 1955. So i guess that after 1955 there would be no connecting service with an individual 24North train between Barstow and Richmond even if the Golden Gate was there up to 1965 (right?). Furthermore based on this site, the 7 North and 8 North seemed to cover the said segments of the trip. In combination to the excellent site of L.Joplin, it seems that any remaining Grand Canyon cars did get connected to these trains after 1955.

Andy, while i have been able to get lots of info on Grand Canyon consists (some of them are nice and short especially for 1968) and schedules online i am unable to get an idea about the consists for the train between Barstow-LA and Barstow-Bakersfield. Hence my question here. Having said that, i gather that North 7 and North 8 trains did what i am describing after 1964.

Many thanks again!
Yannis

Last edited by a moderator:
Get "A Quarter Century of Santa Fe Consists" by Fred Frailey from SFRH&MS (http://www.atsfrr.com/). It has 28 pages on the Grand Canyon during its last 25 years & all variations of it.

Will try in due time to get the majority of the books they have, they are spot on the topics that interest me. Thanks again.

Andy, would you mind if i pm you?

Back