Atlas's QSI Quantum CV programming questions

tootnkumin

Staff member
I'm about to dive into ( head or feet first, I'm not sure) into this SD35's programming, first by setting it all back to factory default, as I know it was at least programmed to it's road number, but not what else may have been altered. The manual that came with it is 24th March 2006, Version 4, for Quantum Software Version 7. It also had the Magnetic(magic) Wand in the box.

Using that wand for resetting appears to entail using a DC power pack, so I'll probably go with the DCC option instead on P.30 Reset all 36 CV's to Factory Default Values (CV 56.128.255)
Set CV49 = 128, Set CV50 = 255, Set CV56 = 113 and I see if it's done in OP's mode (POM) I'll get an audible "Reset" once done.
Question? what is this (CV56.128.255) and what is it's relationship to the other 3 CV's. I see a lot of this in the booklet.

Setting again to the short and extended addresses only mentions the CV17 + CV18 method (I do have an online calculator for this number), but, am I able to use NCE's Pro-Cab addressing system for this?

Just above the section on P.30 about resetting to default it talks about Standard Throttle Control and the option of Regulated Throttle Control. I've been searching for more info as to what these are and what they do, or work, without luck.

Ray, you should be able to program the long address on the main using your NCE system.
I was hoping so. The only other time I've use the other method was with that MTH that had the bad decoder that wouldn't hold the long address.

The procedure you list above is correct, but the reset is complete only after removing track power. When you press the last 'enter' changing the third CV, if your system doesn't automatically cut track power, you must do it yourself. Failure to do this will leave your decoder in limbo, but still wanting to respond to the old address.

When you restore track power, you'll be able to use the locomotive in Add "03".

I was hoping you'd be along, Crandell. I did the triple CV reset yesterday and the power shut down. Something I do now regardless of whoever's decoder I'm playing with. I figure it might not be needed but can't do any harm. Got the verbal message to say it was reset. With the NCE cab it was just a matter of pressing "Select loco" Press button "3" and enter to operate again. No difficulty resetting the long address either.

Ran it at the club last night. I had read in the manual that they use a longer 'get rolling' sequence to other brands. Using 28 spd steps, it wasn't so apparent, but with the 128 step option, which is what I use on other brands, very apparent, think I was up to about 30+ before it began to really show much speed. Haven't had a chance to see what can be done about that as yet. As Terry mentioned, there are lots of F# features available in these Quantum decoders. The sound file lacks the turbo whine pretty much. Might be there, but not by much, as against the Tsunami 1's definite sound which tends to override the prime mover.

There's a bit of a long story behind me getting this particular MRL liveried loco, it being the 2nd Atlas SD35 I now have. The first being a 'Silver' version, into which I've installed the aforementioned Tsunami 1.

Ray, I think you can set the turbo volume louder if you want it on that decoder.
Set CV49 to 14, then set cv52 to a higher number. The adjustments are 1-15, low to high.

Ray, I think you can set the turbo volume louder if you want it on that decoder.
Set CV49 to 14, then set cv52 to a higher number. The adjustments are 1-15, low to high.
I can see there's a lot of delving to do with these. One of the other guys last night, who usually only buys Loksound equipped, or installs them into his, had a steamer with QSI which was at full volume and wanted to lower it. I meant to take the manual with me, but in the last minute scramble to get going, forgot it. I offered to bring it along next time. He said, not to worry, he's replacing it anyway.
I could do likewise, I have another Tsunami, but I'm stubborn. My inquisitive side won't let me. Yet.

Back