Atlas vs Microtrains couplers: is Atlas as good?

You can bend the pins on Accumates to get the proper clearance above the rails. It takes two small needle nose pliers or you could probably use the pliers that are made to adjust the trip pins. I don't use the pins for uncoupling, but so far I haven't had a problem with mine. I also am not able to run 60 car trains yet, but I am happy with mine so far. They are a little bigger than I would like, but then I think that all couplers are and all have a down side or two to them.

The bent pins look bad plus they come out to easily and you can't put them back unless you heat up the pin and force it back into place. I like the idea of hight adjusting pins on the MT couplers.

I help and run at a friends layout and I'm the only one that can effectively run long trains up to 100 cars because they are only MTL couplers. Now this isn't on a level layout, it's 2 levels with a 4 track helix at a 2% grade. We've had too many issues with accumates breaking, loosing pins, randomly uncoupling and have pretty much banned them on long trains. It's not a good sound when you start hearing a string of cars running away down the helix.

I have lots of Microtrains 40 ft box cars and gondola's. The slinky effect drives me nuts, but do not want to install body mounts on all of them....is there no company I could take the MT shell's off and just place the shell onto the body mounted different coupler ?? I love the variety and detail MT offers, but hate the way the cars bounce around the layout...what about putting McHenry couplers into the draft gear box on the truck-mounted MT's ????? Suggestions please !!!

Adjusting the pin on the Accumates and McHenrys is done exactly the same way you do it on the Micro Trains couplers.

Adjusting the pin on the Accumates and McHenrys is done exactly the same way you do it on the Micro Trains couplers.

I have to disagree, as far as Accumate couplers go. The trip pins are going to fall out (permanently) if you try to adjust them by bending them up. If you try to push them further into the coupler (like Micro-Trains), then the pin will rub on the upper coupler shank and the coupler won't open/close properly. Ask me how I know this.:p

post_old.gif
03-22-2013, 01:00 AM
new2nscale
user_online.gif

Switchman

icon1.gif

I have lots of Microtrains 40 ft box cars and gondola's. The slinky effect drives me nuts, but do not want to install body mounts on all of them....is there no company I could take the MT shell's off and just place the shell onto the body mounted different coupler ?? I love the variety and detail MT offers, but hate the way the cars bounce around the layout...what about putting McHenry couplers into the draft gear box on the truck-mounted MT's ????? Suggestions please !!!
progress.gif

new2nscaleSend a private message to new2nscale
post_old.gif
03-22-2013, 09:06 PM
catt
user_offline.gif

Engineer

icon6.gif

post_old.gif

I have had the accumate couplers fall apart during operation. I run them til they fall apart and replace with Micro Trains.

The MTL couplers will sometimes come apart during operations too.The simple solution for both is to glue those together with dabs of thick CA glue.Do not use the thin CA or you may end up with a coupler glued in one position.

A solution for the slinky affect if you are assembling your own MTL couplers replace the spring with small pieces of foam rubber.This allows the coupler to work normally but the foam rubber does not allow the coupler to do the slinky dance.

I'm a little late for the party,but anyway First thing I do when I get any new rolling stock is to installl MTL couplers.why? when I run with my club it makes life easier that everyone's cars are using the same couplers,but on the other hand It's been nothing but a train wreak with the MTL couplers on my Kato passenager cars !!!! in fact I'm replacing the MTL but to the "Old School" Kato couplers which I know work much better.
L

Back