Atlas silver/gold vs Kato (modern) HO who's better

I think Kato is way overrated and over priced, especially compared to an Atlas gold engine of the same model. If Kato has a model you can't get from Atlas or Walthers, it may be worth the money, but I'll stay with Atlas or P2K if I have the choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas Gold uses the terrible QSI sound decoder, I'd buy a Kato and put a Soundtraxx Tsunami in it instead. Kato has better detail, and a better drive which runs smoothly and quietly, moreso than the Atlas drive.

Kato strives to be prototypically accurate, while Atlas does also to some extent, but not to the extent that Kato does. Kato produces locomotives that are true to the prototype, while Atlas tries, but will not satisfy the rivet counters.

For example, my Atlas SD26 in Guilford paint is not correct because the hole for the horn does not correspond to the actual placement of the horn on the prototype, and Atlas put the bell in the wrong position. They basically repainted the ATSF version into Guilford without changing the details.

Kato wouldn't do that. Kato would produce a new tooling just so that it looks prototypical. Also, I like Kato's paint jobs better.

Katos are worth their money, but Atlas comes in at a close second.

P2Ks have really nice detail, but everything is plastic, (including the grab irons, the lift rings, etc), and they have some really evil gearing.

Atlas Gold uses the terrible QSI sound decoder, I'd buy a Kato and put a Soundtraxx Tsunami in it instead. Kato has better detail, and a better drive which runs smoothly and quietly, moreso than the Atlas drive.

Kato strives to be prototypically accurate, while Atlas does also to some extent, but not to the extent that Kato does. Kato produces locomotives that are true to the prototype, while Atlas tries, but will not satisfy the rivet counters.

For example, my Atlas SD26 in Guilford paint is not correct because the hole for the horn does not correspond to the actual placement of the horn on the prototype, and Atlas put the bell in the wrong position. They basically repainted the ATSF version into Guilford without changing the details.

Kato wouldn't do that. Kato would produce a new tooling just so that it looks prototypical. Also, I like Kato's paint jobs better.

Katos are worth their money, but Atlas comes in at a close second.

P2Ks have really nice detail, but everything is plastic, (including the grab irons, the lift rings, etc), and they have some really evil gearing.

There are some things that you have said that are correct and others that are not.

Kato, Atlas, P2K, and all the other plastic loco makers will produce a loco that will be close to or maybe even match a certain RR prototype. Then they will offer this loco in several other RR's livery to help offset the cost of the tooling. That explains the detail in the wrong location on your Atlas. They may even go as far as to include the detail that would make the loco correct for another road. Some research and some work with a knife, files, and pin vise would easily correct any discrepancies.

To try and produce a loco that was completely correct for every single RR that had one is too expensive. To do so would then drive the price of individual models way up due to having to "pay off" that tooling cost with fewer models per mold used to make the model.

Detail comparison on a model from one maker to a model from another maker is a very subjective matter. I've seen (and sold) many, many Katos with almost no detail except what was cast on, to engines with many add on details. Plus if you don't like the material that a detail is made of, ie the plastic grabs on the P2Ks, there are several detail manufacturers that can probably solve that problem for you very easily.

Overall my point is, that determining who's the best, is totally subjective and no matter how many responses a thread like this gets, you won't get anyone to change their minds.

BTW, what do I think is the "best" diesel? Every one I own!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My eye? Kato is crap besides the awesome drive, which, mind you, they've changed now!

Detailing is chunky and outdated (no up to today's exacting standards).

Atlas, Athearn, Stewart, and P2K have some of the best shells and details around, though each has its down side. Athearn, if it had a better drive, would win out over everyone, since they're got some of the most accurate shells.

I'm not a big Kato fan myself. They used to have some of the best looking engines out there, but while other manufacturers have have huge steps forward in detail, Kato still looks the same as ten years ago, and pales in comparison to the others, like Atlas, P2K and Athearn (both RTR and Genesis).

The Kato drive is very nice, but the Atlas is just as good. P2K and Athearn still lack a little in the drive system, but not as much now as a few years ago.

It really comes down to what you want for model wise.
- Athearn and Kato both make C44-9's and AC4400,s, I'd go with the Kato in this case, unless you want steerable trucks, then Athearn is the easier choice.
- Athearn and Kato, BLI all make SD40-2's, I like the current Athearn RTR the best of these (not the older BB stuff)
- Athearn and Kato both make SD70MAC's, the Athearn is by far the more detailed, and accurate.
- Kato and Walthers both make F40's, the Kato runs better, so for the run it out of the box crowd, it would be my recommendation, but if you plan to kitbash with it, get the Walthers, as it is much easier to work with.

Kato and Atlas don't really have any product overlap that I can think of... so choosing between the two is a moot point.

DCC Sound - this is highly subjective, much like level of detail. I like the QSI sound in Atlas Gold series. The Digitrax sound available in some Kobo Kato units is not very good. Thankfully, both manufacturers sell units with no sound, so you can put in your favourite sound decoder.

Prototype Accuracy - Kato is no better at railroad specific details then anyone else. (Just compare a Kato CP AC4400 to the prototype and you'll see what I mean. The Athearn is no better) Any rivet counter worth his weight in rivets will find lots of issues with EVERY model produced by anyone. I think Athearn has made the biggest steps in the road specific details market. And while they aren't perfect either, I really applaud the effort they have made. The options available for their SD70MAC, SD50/60 series and the SD40 and SD40-2 are out standing. If you want to know just how inaccurate most models are, talk to Christopher at Railflyer... There is not an EMD model on the market right now with a 100% accurate clean air room!

I guess, in all my rambling, all I'm really saying is, get what you think looks the best and suits your needs. You can't really go wrong with any of the major manufacturers right now. Kato, Atlas, Athearn, Proto 2000, if they make the unit you want, you won't be disappointed.

If you want to get technical, Kato and Atlas used to make the same models, and Atlas imported Kato models and rebranded them as Atlas (yellow box)

There are some things that you have said that are correct and others that are not.

Kato, Atlas, P2K, and all the other plastic loco makers will produce a loco that will be close to or maybe even match a certain RR prototype. Then they will offer this loco in several other RR's livery to help offset the cost of the tooling. That explains the detail in the wrong location on your Atlas. They may even go as far as to include the detail that would make the loco correct for another road. Some research and some work with a knife, files, and pin vise would easily correct any discrepancies.

To try and produce a loco that was completely correct for every single RR that had one is too expensive. To do so would then drive the price of individual models way up due to having to "pay off" that tooling cost with fewer models per mold used to make the model.

Detail comparison on a model from one maker to a model from another maker is a very subjective matter. I've seen (and sold) many, many Katos with almost no detail except what was cast on, to engines with many add on details. Plus if you don't like the material that a detail is made of, ie the plastic grabs on the P2Ks, there are several detail manufacturers that can probably solve that problem for you very easily.

Overall my point is, that determining who's the best, is totally subjective and no matter how many responses a thread like this gets, you won't get anyone to change their minds.

BTW, what do I think is the "best" diesel? Every one I own!;)

Ditto just about everything here. Do these guys know how heavy you are biased toward steam CJ? (This guy has a Hobbytown PA and AFAIK just a few other diesel models. He's a hard core steam guy. His pickip truck bed has coal in it :p:p;))

I have Walthers P2k E's & F's, and some SW-9s. The new helical gearing is awesome, the cracked axle gear thing is ancient history. The QSI sound is NOT terrible, but quite servicable. Different from the Tsunami yes, and the Tsunami 567 sounds are better, but QSI sound would not deter me from buying a model so equipped. My one question is: Has Kato been dragged kicking & screaming into the 21st century so that you can put sound into them, or do you still have to find a guy to mill your frame? (My steam bias is as bad as CJ's, My van has a bunker oil tank :D:D)

I don't own any new Atlas. Most of it is older models like the RSD-5. They almost had me with the MP-15 and the Trainmaster but they didn't do an SP light package on either one. I bought the Athearn MP-15 instead, and kept my bluebox trainmaster.

Ditto just about everything here. Do these guys know how heavy you are biased toward steam CJ? (This guy has a Hobbytown PA and AFAIK just a few other diesel models. He's a hard core steam guy. His pickip truck bed has coal in it :p:p;))

Had to take the coal out when I moved daughter to Little Rock!;)

My diesel roster consists of;

1 Hobbytown PA
1 Hobbytown F7
1 Hobbytown Gp-7
1 Atlas/Kato Rs1
1 P2k FA-2
1 Stewart/Bowser F-7

Thats it.:D The PA is the best puller, the Hbytwn F-7 is next. Haven't got the Gp-7 de-bugged as yet. The rest were gifts and I have to keep them.

The rest of my roster is all steam consisting of over 20 locos.

Back