Atlas Selector Block

rwverrengia

I bought a used HO scale tain layout that was already wired up and it has a main figure 8 with three sidings. It came with an Atlas Block switch however I'm unable to get any of the sidings to work. When switch 1 or 2 is in the A position, the main figure 8 track has power. Is that correct? I'm unable to find a wiring diagram. If anyone can give any advise on the proper wiring and why the sidings might not be getting power I'd appreciate it.
Block.jpg

The way the selector is wired, pushing the green buttons to A will power whatever they're connected to. As long as the Selector is getting power, and as long as the Selector is functioning properly.

Ditto what Terry posted. It appears to be wired correctly in the picture, but it is also dependent on where the other end of those red wires are connected.
Questions though. You posted "When switch 1 or 2 is in the A position, the main figure 8 track has power.", do they each control half the figure 8? One wouldn't normally need both unless the figure 8 is two separate blocks. What happens if only one is in position A? Or the other? To check Selector functionality, try switching the wire from terminal 1 to terminal 3 and see what happens. Do this with 1 & 4, and other combinations to see what happens. Or if you have a multi-meter or circuit tester, you could check terminals 3 & 4 to confirm whether or not the Selector is at fault.
Experiment around and turn all but one switch off and see what happens, then go to the next one etc.

The main intended use for an Atlas selector it for two separate throttles (cab A or cab B) to be able to control a train in a single block (an electrically insulated portion of the layout). The selector handles up to 4 blocks, and you can gang more selectors together for more blocks.

If your layout has Atlas electrical switches on it (Selectors, Controllers, Connectors, etc., etc.), then it will have common rail wiring. One wire from your throttle goes to the selector cab A, and the other wire goes to the common (ground) rail. If there is a second throttle, then one wire from it goes to the selector cab B, and its other wire also goes to the common (ground) rail.

Some model railroaders can get creative and use Atlas switches for other than intended. For example, a selector might also be used for one throttle only and merely turn power on or off to individual blocks. This could allow an operator to have more than one loco on the layout, but operate only one loco at a time if desired.

In your picture, the one yellow wire on the cab A screw is probably from your throttle, and the four red wires each go to a block. There is no throttle wire hooked up to the cab B screw, so sliding the switches down for cab B effectively shuts power off to the four red wires.

As per santafewillie's recommendation, a multi-meter or circuit tester would be beneficial for checking the selector to see if it is bad or not. And checking other wiring on the layout too, for that matter.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I was mistaken, Terminal 1 only serves the figure 8. I switched the wire from 1 to 2, 3, and 4 and confirmed the switch is functioning. Just to confirm, there should only be one wire that goes out to the blocks. On the sidings, I have voltage on each side of the tracks whereas on the functioning figure 8 there is only voltage on one side of the track. Could this be the issue?

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I was mistaken, Terminal 1 only serves the figure 8. I switched the wire from 1 to 2, 3, and 4 and confirmed the switch is functioning. Just to confirm, there should only be one wire that goes out to the blocks. On the sidings, I have voltage on each side of the tracks whereas on the functioning figure 8 there is only voltage on one side of the track. Could this be the issue?
In a DC system, you need a positive track and a negative(ground) track. Each tracks polarity can alternate depending on which direction your controller is set to (forward or reverse). In order to disable any section of track, you only need to remove either the positive feed or the negative(ground) feed going to the section you wish to isolate. In your setup, that switch controls the power or ground (depending on the direction setting on your controller) feeding that section of track. It basically acts as an on/off switch for one of the rails.

Back