Atlas' GP40-2w pics are up...

Sigh... Four more arrived today. The final CN number and three in orange and black GWI paint lettered for the HCRY. I hope it is another year before Atlas does another run.

Yes Atlas did fix the issues with the model minus some smaller ones like the handrail.

Not quite, the nose still has beaucoup errors. I tool a vernier caliper to it using a Canadian Prototype Replica cab (which is THE benchmark cab, and aside from the slider windows is the same as the railflyer cab)

The top of the nose is 0.050" (4.4") too narrow The nose isn't tall enough by 0.030" (2.6") (these two errors coincide)

The width of the area between the windows is 0.015" (1.25") too wide And the radius of the front window corners is 0.005" (0.5") too sharp.

I tossed the Atlas cab on my undec, and went back with tried-n-true...

Picture264.jpg

Picture265.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite, the nose still has beaucoup errors. I tool a vernier caliper to it using a Canadian Prototype Replica cab (which is THE benchmark cab, and aside from the slider windows is the same as the railflyer cab)

The top of the nose is 0.050" (4.4") too narrow The nose isn't tall enough by 0.030" (2.6") (these two errors coincide)

The width of the area between the windows is 0.015" (1.25") too wide And the radius of the front window corners is 0.005" (0.5") too sharp.

I tossed the Atlas cab on my undec, and went back with tried-n-true...

Picture264.jpg

Picture265.jpg

I figured it still looked odd but I would't go by other model cabs as benchmarks either. One of these days I have to measure the cab on the real GP40-2L we have on the RR I work for and then convert the measurements to HO and see what it really pans out to be as the cabs are the same on all the models GF430a - GF430D.

You just have to look at the cab, analyze it and you can see the Atlas errors...

I worked for CN for 4 years, spent many hours staring thru widecab windows, they are too small on the Atlas...

Picture262.jpg

putting a tape measure to the real thing will solidify the Atlas error...

I agree as I have been looking out the same windows since 2002 and it still looks to me like there are issues with the Atlas cab, one thing is the nose looks to pointed but it may just be me and until I go and measure the real deal I wont know. LOL, I am not going to worry to much though but Atlas did say they fixed the nose issues so I believed them.

You just have to look at the cab, analyze it and you can see the Atlas errors...

I worked for CN for 4 years, spent many hours staring thru widecab windows, they are too small on the Atlas...

Picture262.jpg

putting a tape measure to the real thing will solidify the Atlas error...

You're right. Looking at the first photo that you posted, the windows do seem larger on the replica cab. What about the numberboards? They seem larger on the replica cab as well.

Looking at prototype photos, the windows on the prototype seem to be about in between the size of the Atlas cab, and the replica cab....

I don't think Atlas will "fix" the nose again. Doing so will create another 2-year delay for the next run :D

Another thing is the nose grabs... The prototype's grabs don't seem to "drop" as much as the grabs used on the model.

You're right. Looking at the first photo that you posted, the windows do seem larger on the replica cab. What about the numberboards? They seem larger on the replica cab as well.

Looking at prototype photos, the windows on the prototype seem to be about in between the size of the Atlas cab, and the replica cab....

I don't think Atlas will "fix" the nose again. Doing so will create another 2-year delay for the next run :D

I know the Atlas cab has the window gasket molded on the cab but does the CPR cab, I know the railflyer cab has the gaskets as seperate parts.

Here are some pics of a real cab.

DSC03099.png

DSC03089.png

DSC03093.png

You are right, but there was a change in the window rubber made some time in the late 80's. the original rubber was replaced with a gasket sandwiched between aluminum frames like your pics.

Here's the as built smaller gasketted windows...

cn9497.png

My dad used to work in the shops, and the old style windows required someone with 'finess' to change, the newer style requires someone with a screwdriver...8)

Atlas is still way wrong....but I don't want to get in a pi$$ing match....8)

Sure, it's 0.91 on the Atlas, 0.95 on the CPRep...I wish I had a Railflyer to compare...:(

Atlas did fix that dimensional error from the pre-production, it was way out originally...

Guys,

Here is some fuel to the fire... Seems like some embers are glowing.

The Atlas cab lacks a number of details. One of the more notable on the roof is the prominant rain gutter above the windows on the front edge of the cab.

2008-12-05at21-30-23.jpg

RFMPCabkitMK4013Front.png

Here is a GP38-2W modified with our parts compared to the Intermountain SD40-2W.

IMG_5226.jpg

What is really wrong with the Atlas cab is the angle of the side slopes when viewed from the front.

Here is a line drawing to compare with.

wide_cab_front.jpg

Atlas seems to follow the outline of a F45 more than a GMDD product. Where this is most noticable is in the nose area. The slope of the nose compresses the area around the headlights, grabs, and rain gutter of the front door.

One other area of the locomotive which is lacking are the steps. They missed the bottom recess as seen in this image. The bottom plate measures 12" x 24" on the prototype.

HCRY3012-097.jpg

We have over 90% of the components needed for full kits in tooling.

Here is a test shot of our new Blomberg Side-frames.

DSC00546.jpg

I posted this image a few weeks ago of test shots for the fans, clean air room, and GP40/40-2, SD40/SD40-2 rear hood.

DSC00524.jpg

So for the guy wanting an accurate replica for the GP38-2W, GP40-2W, GP40-2L, and SD40-2W, give us a look.

Thanks,

Christopher Howard
Railflyer Model Prototypes Inc.
www.railflyermodel.com

Back