Atlas coupler sub

35tac

Wayne B
I just took delivery on Atlas Masterline 20-001-552 LEF&C single door boxcar. I do prefer Kadee couplers so I went about attempting a change out. Surprise, a very short coupler and I thought a Kadee #27 would do the trick. No deal, length looked fine but the draft gear end was to wide. I saw nothing on the Kadee site that shows a coupler that had a narrowed draft gear end. Any suggestions please. I can't stand plastic couplers.
Thanks
Wayne

Kadee used to have a narrow end coupler which went on some old, old draft gear. I don't know if they still make them, and they might not work with the Atlas. An alternative would be to modify or remove the draft gear on the Atlas model, and substitute a Kadee coupler pocket.

Coupler sub

Thanks for the input but if the undercarriage is any where near prototypical adding Kadee gear boxes would look odd.
Thanks
Wayne

You could always try the old KD #4. It has a very thin draft gear and box. However, they don't mount the way most of the other KD's do.

If the loco came with the 2 piece Accumate couplers you should not have a problem replacing them with Kadee whisker couplers. Whiskers do not use the separate centering spring. If I am reading your post correctly that seems to be the problem, the coupler fits but the spring is too wide. Kadee 147 is the same as a 27 but in a whisker design. If the original couplers had the springy tail on each half then the 147 should work in its place.

Coupler sub

If the loco came with the 2 piece Accumate couplers you should not have a problem replacing them with Kadee whisker couplers. Whiskers do not use the separate centering spring. If I am reading your post correctly that seems to be the problem, the coupler fits but the spring is too wide. Kadee 147 is the same as a 27 but in a whisker design. If the original couplers had the springy tail on each half then the 147 should work in its place.

The problem is the coupler used on this Atlas boxcar has a very narrow shank. I dont see anything in the Kadee offering with a narrow shank and or whiskers like this Accumate coupler. Strange! Maybe if someone in the forum has one of these new cars from Atlas and had this issue also.
Thanks
Wayne

Thanks for the input but if the undercarriage is any where near prototypical adding Kadee gear boxes would look odd.
Thanks
Wayne

You're assuming the Atlas coupler box size are prototypical but are they really? Since model railroading is full of compromises, Atlas probably made them that way just to use the cheaper plastic couplers. Would agree w/ others and replace them w/ Kadee whisker couplers & boxes.

Coupler sub

So, I am paging thru my new MRR and what appears but a review of the new Atlas boxcar in question. The article advises me that also enclosed with the car is a coupler gearbox suitable for Kadee couplers. Question answered.
Thanks
Wayne

Back