Athern auto carrier's

tomytuna

Is there some secrete to having proper height couplers on athern auto carrier cars? I have four and every one has a drooping coupler. This is AFTER
i replaced the CADEE"s with new CADEE'S wisker couplers. I know about the washer shims, but wondering if any other ideas out there? Anyone? and Thanks, Tommy:(

The longer freight car has the coupler mounted on a long tongue that is part of the truck mount. They do this so the car can negotiate the tightest of the snap track radii. If you had body mounted couplers, the car would pull itself off the track in tight radii. The tongue will droop a bit with wear. You can tighten things up a bit by using scrap plastic to build a bracket under the coupler tongue to support it, or cut the tongue off and mount the coupler directly to the underbody of the autorack.

I have 3 from the 1st run and 3 from the 2nd, but have only checked on of them so far for height. Both were too high on my height gauge. The choices are file down the bolster or get an offset coupler.

The spelling is Athearn and Kadee btw.

Back