Athearn's Latest Price Increases: Im out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually they want today's detailed models at 1980 blue box prices.

I don't like the prices either but,there are ways to cut hobby costs.

Yes, there ARE ways to cut costs So what if product sits on the shelf awhile!?!?!
It means something someone really wants will still be there 6 mos to a year later!! Eventually, longer production runs will lower tooling costs, and just maybe - prices may just come down!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there ARE ways to cut costs So what if product sits on the shelf awhile!?!?!
It means something someone really wants will still be there 6 mos to a year later!! Eventually, longer production runs will lower tooling costs, and just maybe - prices may just come down!!

By the same token, manufacturing a product that no one wants, and sits on a retailer's shelf will NOT lower prices. Many places have inventory taxes on items for sale that are on hand at a certain time of the year (usually December). In order to get rid of excess inventory, the retailers will not order more of an item, if it appears it is not selling. Manufacturers will therefore cut back on production, since they can't sell what customers (retailers) can't/won't order for sale. Tooling costs will NOT be amortized, etc., and prices will have to increase in order to cover manufacturing costs.

Material costs are another factor in price. As petroleum prices continue to rise, the cost of plastics follows, resulting in higher price. Unfortunately, there are no easy, simplistic solutions to these problems.

Part of the answer might be for the manufacturers to reduce the amount of super detail. Yes, this is a step backwards, and we have all gotten used to more and more sophistication and detail than when I was a kid back in the 50's and '60's. I'd really like to see is more kits...simple ones for beginners to cut their teeth on, like the old blue box Athearns. Sadly, no one seems to have the patience for assembling kits anymore. Everything is instant gratification, and what's the next "app" for my Ipod? Kid's and grownups alike would rather play a video game about running a train, than put together a model of one.

B
Part of the answer might be for the manufacturers to reduce the amount of super detail. Yes, this is a step backwards, and we have all gotten used to more and more sophistication and detail than when I was a kid back in the 50's and '60's. I'd really like to see is more kits...simple ones for beginners to cut their teeth on, like the old blue box Athearns. Sadly, no one seems to have the patience for assembling kits anymore. Everything is instant gratification, and what's the next "app" for my Ipod? Kid's and grownups alike would rather play a video game about running a train, than put together a model of one.

Amen. If we really want to see kids involved with trains, we need some simplification for the younger set. The number 4 Atlas switch seems to be capable of holding on to market share and it is utterly unrealistic. Atlas makes far better turnouts for more sophisticated clients but the simplicity probably pays a lot of their bills. Kit manufacturers could do something similar on a limited scale.

This is not how young MBA's are being taught to run companies. The concept of "Just in Time" inventory, and smaller runs that sell out quickly are clearly making these companies money.

Moving jobs back to the US would increase prices, not decrease them. Unfortunate but true.

Several manufacturers have told me that less expensive less detailed models do not sell well. The expensive stuff sells out. It's hard to beat this arguement when you are sitting in the boardroom deciding what to make this year. A bunch of cheap stuff that will sit on shelves, or a smaller amount of higher profit stuff that will sell out? If it was your business what would you do? A previous poster has stated that these companies are under no obligation to sell you cheap product. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If you are offended by the high price, leave your wallet in your pocket. At the Amherst show I saw lots of people buying. And it wasn't five dollar freight cars either. ;)

OTOH I went to the Great Midwest Train Show in Dupage yesterday. I bought a pair of L&N Piggyback trailers, and a tractor & trailer set, both in the blue & yellow RTR boxes, $10.00 each, and three RTR cars for $20.00. They same guy had blue box kits for 4 or 5 bucks each, with a quantity discount. There are cheap alternatives out there. It's called bargain hunting, and it can be fun.

It isn't like you are being forced to buy this stuff, and it isn't realistic to expect that increased costs aren't going to be passed on to we the consumers. That's the way it's always been.

Why China is cheaper

It is not just model rr stuff rising in price... Everything is... What use to cost $1 now cost $1.50... I believe it is called PEAK OIL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back