Athearn Sd70m

Ronzzr11

I bought two more locomotives from Dicks train store in Altoona last week,a pair of Athearn Genesis SD70M,s. They are not brand new but I don,t think they,ve seen much use at all.They cost $85 each.
Ron

I used to have one of those. Good loco, as long as the trucks arent warped. Smooth runners.

I have 8 or 10 of those & one of mine has warped trucks that I've got to fix someday.
Mine are SD70's, 75I's & 75M's. Nice loco's, but, I haven't paid more than 50 or 60 bucks for mine brand new.

I already have a Santa Fe SD75i as well as a EMD SD70 demonstrator loco, so I know how good these locos run,very smooth and quiet. I can,t run these two NS loco,s yet,as I,m still over here in Pennsylvania.

Ron

I have 8 or 10 of those & one of mine has warped trucks that I've got to fix someday.
Mine are SD70's, 75I's & 75M's. Nice loco's, but, I haven't paid more than 50 or 60 bucks for mine brand new.

how did you pay those prices for them brand new? I've been trying to find a few on ebay and they end up going for full retail used.

how did you pay those prices for them brand new? I've been trying to find a few on ebay and they end up going for full retail used.

I bought 3 off of HOYardSale for $55.00 ea(BNSF) & 3 from a forum member for $60.00 ea. Then later on I bought 2 more off of a Forum member & another one for $50.00 off of HO Yardsale. Not long after that I bought a BNSF Genset from HB Klein when they were on sale for $65.00.
You need to look around & ask from the members for your needs & have patience. EBay prices are way to high right now. When I was buying from EBay in 2009 & 2010 the Economy hadn't popped up yet & the prices were low to affordable. I bought 3 brand new Atlas MP15DC's for $35.00 to $50.00 ea. off Ebay. Now the starting prices are no where near that. If you want excellent Buy It Now Prices, get your stuff from HOyardSales. Don't be afraid to make an offer when it's stated in their ads. Another thing, Ya Gotta know your prices & what your limit is on an item. I make all of my GREAT purchases on EBay from 10 to 12PM at nite & I use the instant bid a lot.(end of novel):D
BTW, I hate putting those things together. If you buy them all together including the Ditchlites & in operating condition it's worth the xtra $15.00. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
mayb i'll put at WTB ad then. I just want like 3 or 4 SD70M's or macs from Athearn. I dont care about the road name's or numbers as i'll be stripping them.

I got home to England this morning, so I managed to get these two locos unpacked and give them a run round my layout. One runs much quieter in reverse, the other runs equally quiet in either direction. I think that after some running in, the noisier one will settle down,as I said in my original post, they are preowned, but I don,t think they have seen much use.
Ron

Back