Athearn SD45T-2

Smoke

Southern Railway lives on
Hey all,
This is the thread where I will be documenting my progress on my Athearn SD45T-2. The model is a stock RTR model that will beconverted to a High hood and painted for Southern Railway.

If you have any questions along the way please ask!

Here is the model in it's original form.
IMG_3692-1.jpg

I have since taken off all the detail parts and made a couple changes. I took an X-acto knife to the cab and removed the number board housing and headlights to make way for the high hood. The next thing I did was to make the Dynamic brakes see through. I took the covers off and took my X-acto knife and started to cut away.
IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniff...as much as I hate to see a UP engine wrecked, I'm sure it'll look good in the tuxedo scheme when you're done.

The unit has been primed, with the exception of the walkway part. Now it's time to add all the detail parts Athearn neglected.

IMG_3763.jpg

-Smoke

Smoke, WOW! This is THE Southern tunnel motor, isn't it? The ex-Clinchfield canceled order? What a neat project. I've read the article on how one person did it, I'd imagine with all these new, higher quality athearn bodies and all the new detail parts out there, this should be beautiful!!

Smoke, WOW! This is THE Southern tunnel motor, isn't it? The ex-Clinchfield canceled order? What a neat project. I've read the article on how one person did it, I'd imagine with all these new, higher quality athearn bodies and all the new detail parts out there, this should be beautiful!!

Wow, I didnt know SRR had a order for tunnel motors. Imagine what they would look like today with NS thoroughbreeds on them.
Makes me wanna get one and paint it for NS now.:cool:

the part where you made the DB's see thru. Is the mesh see thru and just not the body? Or did you have to open up the mesh and the body? just a lil confused.

A few weeks ago I was thinking along these lines. I was thinking of makeing a what if loco that would be a SD45T-2W. Just wonder how a tunnel motor would look with the wide cab.

Go to sister forum, RRF.com and ask a member Empire_Builder, he can whip a drawing up of one, I could too but I'm feeling lazy

I was going to try and kitbash one thinking it didn't exist, but that video kinda killed it for me.
Well the SD45T-2W was a one off, they replaced the cab and a scrap SD45T-2 with a 2nd version EMD safety cab to test out is crash worthiness.

Well the SD45T-2W was a one off, they replaced the cab and a scrap SD45T-2 with a 2nd version EMD safety cab to test out is crash worthiness.

i know they never made a production model, but i never thought that one really existed period. when i first saw that video of the crash i was like "there goes that idea."

Back