Athearn rtr vs Altas silver series

dekker

I have several Atlas silver series locos and they are great. How does the modern Athearn rtr locos compare?Thanks

Athearn RTR is similar, although it does not have the same level of detail as an atlas loco. Athearn locos do not come with lift rings, MU hoses, or coupler lift bars. Athearn locos also need a bit more power to get moving.

Besides those differences, Athearn locos are still awesome for their price.

Hi !

Long delay lol ... Atlas make more detail like diburning tell but i prefer to add ( by exemple) my proper coupler lift bar in metal that have this one in plastic of Atlas.

Plastic is always broken.... i don't like the new handrail in plastic for that.

THanks !

Some of the Athearn is improving in terms of detail (the last batch of SW1500s and the Rio Grande SD45s and some NS SD40-2s), but the drive in the Atlas is still much smoother, even though Athearn is upgrading their drives (the SW1500 is as smooth as my Atlas MP15 Gold). I compare Atlas Silver to P2K in terms of detail and drive smoothness, and prices are comparable.

Hi !

It's sure that Athearn are not smoother that Atlas or Proto or many other brand. The Athearn Genesis are close of the competition. For me it's not the more important because my favorite thing it's to add detail and kitbash for CN locomotive, I do not rool a train often.

THanks !

Athearn's newer run retooled RTR line is almost on the Genesis level. Athearn had many runs of RTR. (I will not mention genesis in the chronology)

The original RTR was a bluebox shell on a bluebox drive (with the arc welding light and not DCC ready) but with Celcon handrails, a more crisp paint job, nickle-silver wheels and pad-printed numberboards. (example - I don't remember any particular examples, but I have seen them)

When the hex drive came out, some models were still the original RTR with the new drive. (example - the first run of FURX SD40-2s)

They also had an in-between version where the grab irons are installed, but still retain the bluebox shell (but may or may not have the hex drive) (example - GP38-2s/40-s)

Athearn then came out with new retooled RTR locos. They had grab irons, see-through fans, and the hex drive, but still not DCC ready. (older runs of the SD40-2s)

When Athearn started putting light boards in their locos with a DCC plug, the engines were DCC ready, had the hex drive, and had microbulbs for front and rear headlights instead of the arc welding light. All engines after this "phase" have the hex drive.

Athearn then started producing locos with new tooling that they have aquired from buying out RailPower Products. The RailPower locos are nearly identical to the version before it except the numberboards aren't clear and can't be lit.
(When RailPower Products was in buisness, they produced shells that were more detailed than the bluebox ones and were designed to fit on the bluebox drive as an improvement on Athearn's shell)

Then there is the newer retooled SW1500s. They feature a new motor, have the handrails mounted either to the top of the walkway or the sill as appropriate for the prototype, and etched metal grilles.

NONE of the Athearn RTR engines have ditch lights. None except maybe for the latest run have MU hoses, air hoses, coupler cut bars, lift rings, etc. All Athearns require a bit of power to get it to start moving (on DCC, CV2 would need to be set to around 70 whereas an Atlas loco would have it between 10 and 20) All Athearn motors may have a chance of having that distinct Athearn growl (but it will run smooth nonetheless)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a GP38-2 from the first run of RTR engines. As Di said, it still has the original BB drive and crew frying headlight. The body shell tooling was improved and dimples were added in the place of cast on grabs. The paint job was better done as was the lettering. If you like to detail engines, finding any of these first run RTR's is a good deal. They are relatively cheap and, with about $10 in additional parts and some time, they look as good as the later, more detailed version. Don't buy one if you want DCC and are afraid of soldering but mine runs fine on DCC after installing a Digitrax 13SR decoder.

GMOGP38Medium.jpg

DCC is not hard to install on a non-dcc ready athearn engine. If anyone needs help, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Have to admit, I prefer my Athearns. Rock solid loco at a very affordable price with a nice level of detail for us operation oriented fellows if you know what I mean... I have been very disappointed with Atlas but this is only my experience, others have had excellent experiences. My Atlas Classic RS-1 loco growls just as much as my Athearns and definitely does not run smoother. I cant really speak for Atlas Silver Series though.

By Atlas Classic, do you mean an Atlas Yellow Box? Or does is the box black and actually says Atlas Classic?

The Yellow box locos were either made by Roco or Kato and imported and repackaged as Atlas. The new Atlas Classic in the black box is an all-new tooling. (If it growls, then you can send it back). The yellow box Rocos may growl. The yellow box Katos should already have Kato's current smooth silent drive.

By Atlas Classic, do you mean an Atlas Yellow Box? Or does is the box black and actually says Atlas Classic?

The Yellow box locos were either made by Roco or Kato and imported and repackaged as Atlas. The new Atlas Classic in the black box is an all-new tooling. (If it growls, then you can send it back). The yellow box Rocos may growl. The yellow box Katos should already have Kato's current smooth silent drive.

Agree. I have 6 of the old yellow box Atlas that are at least 23 years old. All are Kato driven and whisper quiet and silky smooth. They compare equally in running characteristics to the currently offered Atlas engines. With few exceptions I have no trouble MU'ing them with the newer Atlas engines and this may be more a result of accumulated running wear than anything else.

I also have a yellow box SD35 that is Roco driven. It runs smoother than the older BB Athearns but is only slightly less noisey

Black and Silver Box with red lettering if I recall correctly. I could send it back but couldn't be bothered, its going to end up in a display case...

Black and Silver means the new Atlas Classic. It shouldn't growl, as it has hte modern drive. You might just have a defective unit.

Back